No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Tinypilot can't access internet during intial setup

By @NanNinja
    2024-04-29 14:30:41.788Z

Hello,

After reimaging the tiny pilot, turning on ssh, and ssh'ing into the device I try to run
    curl -fsSL https://tailscale.com/install.sh | sh && \ sudo tailscale up
    and get
    curl: (6) Could not resolve host: tailscale.com
    -bash: : command not found

also
    curl -L https://tinypilotkvm.com/pro/install.sh | sh
    curl: (6) Could not resolve host: tinypilotkvm.com

Currently I have that tiny pilot connected directly into my computer which has internet access.
    When I open a command prompt on that computer and ping any domain it pings fine.

It was just reimaged but I tried remaging again, just in case with no luck.

Thanks for your help!

Solved in post #2, click to view
    • 2 replies
    1. @fft2024-04-30 05:41:24.808Z

HI @NanNinja ,

Can you access TinyPilot with the browser from your computer? Even if TinyPilot is connected to the computer, (how?): As long as the computer is not routing the IP packages from the TinyPilot to the internet, TinyPilot won't have Internet access. I personally would connect TinyPilot to the same network as your computer is connected to (direkt ethernet plug to the router), and than TinyPilot should get an IP from your DHCP Server, and than TinyPilot should be able to connect to the Internet.

thanks
      Juergen

ReplySolution
      1. N
        In reply toNanNinja:
        @NanNinja
          2024-04-30 09:34:02.585Z

I thought I tried that, but anyway, now its working! I thought connecting it right to the computer was the best but its good to know WHY connecting both to a central source of internet is the best. Its not straightforward becuase both work, kinda. I swear it was even working one time when I had the tinypilot connected to the omada hub which was connected to the router, which my computer was using via tailscale, still dont know how that was working. Would be so cool to see a little bit of this generic but super apt stuff in the startup docs. Oh well! Haha thank you!!!!