No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

USB Issues - No mouse/keyboard input, video working fine

By @mikane
    2024-08-07 04:49:44.053Zassigned to
    • @cghague

I've noticed recently that my mouse/keyboard inputs are no longer working. Video is working fine. I've tried various different USB C to C cables and USB C to A cables, including the provided cable. I've also tested on a windows PC, Linux laptop, and Linus servers with no change. After an update was unsuccessful, I re-imaged the SD card and still no mouse/keyboard input. I'm hoping I don't have a faulty USB port but not sure what else to try out.

Here's my logs:
    https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/OLKN5SZW

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 7 replies
    1. C

Hi, @mikane. Thanks for your message and for the detailed troubleshooting you've already done. I'm sorry you're having problems with USB.

A faulty USB port could cause this issue, but we can still try a few troubleshooting steps. I appreciate it sounds obvious, but can you confirm that the USB-C port on the TinyPilot device is completely clean? Even a tiny bit of dust can cause the connection to fail.

Once you've done that, can you please connect the TinyPilot device to your Windows computer and check if anything other than the TinyPilot display appears in Device Manager?

1. M
        In reply tomikane:
        @mikane
          2024-08-09 20:34:05.621Z

Hey, Charles. Thanks for your reply.

I've ensured the usb port is clean with no improvement. It has stayed pretty stationary in my server room at home with the usb cable plugged in since I've had it. In Device Manager on Windows the TinyPilot either doesn't show up at all or sometimes, after rebooting the TinyPilot, I get "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" along with the below dialogue - hinting that it is either the cable, or the connection (both of which I think I've singled out) or the Tiny Pilot itself. Is that what you meant by your question? There are several other devices detected other than the TinyPilot. I did some troubleshooting regarding the Device Descriptor Request error on the Windows side but since it is not working on any of my other systems, I've ruled that out.

1. Thanks for getting back to me!

It'd be good to see what device information your TinyPilot provides, if any. You mentioned that you have a Linux computer available. Can you please try running dmesg --clear, then connect your TinyPilot device, run dmesg again with no arguments, and then share the output with me?

2. M
            In reply tomikane:
            @mikane
              2024-08-18 02:28:18.059Z

Hey Charles,

Thanks for working through this with me. Yes, I did purchase the device from you guys though with a different email address (same domain though). Please get me in touch with customer support to work through next steps.

Thanks again for the help.

1. Thanks for confirming. I'm sorry we couldn't resolve the problem. I've asked our customer support team to contact you; they should reach out by e-mail soon.

2. Progress
                with handling this problem
              3. M
                @mikane
                  2024-08-16 06:18:05.864Z

Hey Charles,

Here's the output.

1. C
                    Charles Hague @cghague2024-08-16 22:51:12.551Zreplies tomikane:

Thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately, that output, combined with the other tests we've already run, suggests that the TinyPilot device's USB port is malfunctioning. I'm sorry this isn't the outcome you were hoping for.

Did you purchase your TinyPilot device from us? If so, please let me know if you'd like me to arrange for our customer support team to contact you to discuss potential repair options.