No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

No Signal

By Hao Zhang @hzhang
    2024-08-08 05:04:49.366Zassigned to
    • @david

i know the screen is there when i plug-in a monitor. but using the TinyPilot, just give me "No Signal".
    i have download the log in word format or pdf format, but it is not "allowed".
    so how can i submit the log file to you?

• 9 replies
    1. David @david2024-08-08 11:05:06.546Z

Hi @hzhang, I'm sorry you're running into this "No Signal" issue.

The best way to share your TinyPilot logs is to go to System > Logs on the TinyPilot web interface and click Get Shareable URL. Then paste the URL in your reply.

Can I ask whether you're using an adapter (like a VGA to HDMI adapter for example)?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. H
        In reply tohzhang:
        Hao Zhang @hzhang
          2024-08-08 18:00:47.391Z

https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/junrJV6B
          is the URL for log.
          and no, i m not using converter. just straight HDMI to HDMI.

1. David @david2024-08-09 11:16:07.356Z

Thanks for sharing those logs and for confirming you're using HDMI only.

Those logs suggest your TinyPilot isn't receiving a signal from your target machine at all:

Persistent device timeout (unplugged)

We typically see this message if the HDMI cable is broken or disconnected, or if the target machine isn't sending a signal via the connected HDMI port.

Is this the first time you've connected this target machine to your TinyPilot?

Could you try a different HDMI cable or a different HDMI port on your target machine to see if that helps?

1. HHao Zhang @hzhang
                2024-08-09 16:37:39.583Z

it turns out, it will give display when it is on the motherboard POST or in the BIos, but once boot into the Linux, no display.

1. David @david2024-08-12 11:43:13.372Z

Thanks for the update!

Based on your symptoms, I think you need to manually adjust your target machine's display output settings to something TinyPilot supports.

Are you able to manually adjust your target machine's output settings? Could you tell me which OS you're running (Ubuntu Server 22.04 for example)?

1. HHao Zhang @hzhang
                      2024-08-12 16:35:45.446Z

no, not able to adjust output setting. it is straight from the HDMI port on the motherboard.
                      it is CentOS 7.6, text only, no graph. no gui.

1. David @david2024-08-12 18:58:09.391Z

Thanks for those details, @hzhang!

In CentOS, you might be able to use the xrandr tool to adjust the output resolution.

Could you try using xrandr to see if that allows your TinyPilot to capture your target machine's display?

If your machine has xrandr, you can use it to list your displays and their supported settings with the following command:

xrandr

Once you've located your TinyPilot as a display, you can run the following command to set the output mode. The output will need to match a setting in TinyPilot's supported resolution list (You'll need to adjust the variables in the command to match your desired settings):

# Change these details to match your TinyPilot's display name and the desired settings.
                        DISPLAY_NAME="HDMI-0"
                        RESOLUTION="1920x1080"
                        REFRESH_RATE="30"
                        xrandr --output "${DISPLAY_NAME}" --mode "${RESOLUTION}"  --rate "${REFRESH_RATE}"

If your machine doesn't have a tool like xrandr to change the output resolution, we may have to say that your CentOS target machine is incompatible with TinyPilot.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

• H
                In reply tohzhang:
                Hao Zhang @hzhang
                  2024-08-13 05:01:14.992Z

you know what, the system is gone, now i have wait for next time to try. but thanks for the suggestion.

1. David @david2024-08-13 10:56:42.886Z

Thanks for the update - that's no problem. Please let me know when you try this and let me know how it goes.