2. Technical Support

Can't update from 2.5.0 -> 2.5.4: update failed

By Larry Rosenman @lrosenman
    2024-08-09 01:39:10.932Z2024-08-09 03:10:48.111Zassigned to
    • @david

How can I get some help?

Logs: https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/0lKXatkF

I think this is the issue:
    TASK [ansible-role-ustreamer : enable Janus apt suite] *************************
    fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Failed to update apt cache: E:The repository 'http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports Release' does not have a Release file."}

How do we fix it?

one of my 3 tinypilots is not displaying the screen -- it shows a broken graphic. I was trying to update it to fix it.
    the 2nd of them won't update for the same reason (it's working fine).
    The 3rd one has a bad static IP and I need to change it, how can I do that?

• 7 replies
    1. David @david2024-08-12 11:34:13.072Z

Hi @lrosenman, I'm sorry you're running into this update issue and other issues on your devices.

The error you're experiencing is a known issue when trying to update to 2.5.4. There is a workaround to this issue that allows you to update to 2.5.4. However, based on your logs, I'd suggest performing a factory reset instead.

one of my 3 tinypilots is not displaying the screen -- it shows a broken graphic. I was trying to update it to fix it.

If the logs you shared are from this device (and you previously had no issues with seeing the display), I definitely think a factory reset is the best option. The logs show this line relating to your TinyPilot's streaming service:

Failed to execute command: Permission denied

This line suggests there an issue with the streaming service. The logs also show other symptoms of filesystem corruption, so I'd recommend a factory reset here to get your device back to a working state.

The 3rd one has a bad static IP and I need to change it, how can I do that?

If your device has a static IP address and it's unreachable on the network, the only way to fix this is to perform a factory reset so that your device uses DHCP to acquire a dynamic IP instead.

It looks like you're running a much older version of TinyPilot Pro from 2022, so your TinyPilot Pro license may have expired. If you like, you can renew your license from our website and receive an additional year of updates. The license gives you access to TinyPilot's latest features and bugfixes and priority support.

As a small company, we rely on license renewals to fund improvements to TinyPilot’s software, so thank you in advance if you choose to renew!

If you'd rather not renew, please let me know, and I can send you the latest image you qualify for to get you back up and running on all of your devices.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. L
        In reply tolrosenman:
        Larry Rosenman @lrosenman
          2024-08-20 10:30:50.648Z

What is the easiest way to do the factory reset, given that all 3 TinyPilots are ~800 miles away and this would be done remotely? I'm more than happy to renew all 3 licenses.
          (Sorry for the delay in response, I wound up in the hospital for a quadruple bypass and just got back home.)

1. David @david2024-08-20 11:44:28.845Z

No problem at all! I hope you're doing well.

What is the easiest way to do the factory reset, given that all 3 TinyPilots are ~800 miles away and this would be done remotely?

This is a difficult one. Is there anyone in the remote location that can help here? If so (and they're technical) they could re-flash your TinyPilot's microSD cards and set up your devices on your behalf.

My preferred method would be to flash some new microSD cards, set them up as needed (if using third-party remote access services, to enable SSH, and so on), and ship them to the remote location for someone to swap out the microSD cards.

Are either of those viable solutions?

2. L
            In reply tolrosenman:
            Larry Rosenman @lrosenman
              2024-08-20 11:48:10.440Z

I have some trusted folks there that can do the swaps (given appropriate instructions).
              I'd prefer to have y'all ship new cards to them. We can correspond in private to pay for the licenses and get addresses to y'all

1. David @david2024-08-21 10:56:46.646Z

I have some trusted folks there that can do the swaps

Amazing! I've reached out to the customer support team to help with this so we can get you back up and running on your devices. You should have received an email from them.

1. LLarry Rosenman @lrosenman
                    2024-08-29 18:38:32.087Z

all 3 tiny pilots are up and running on the current code and working. Thanks!

1. David @david2024-08-30 11:43:00.418Z

You're welcome! I'm glad you're all back up and running, @lrosenman.