No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Error upgrading Tinypilot from GUI

By Martin Goudreau @MartyG
    2024-08-26 18:27:50.070Zassigned to
    • @david

Hello, i have 2 TinyPilots voyager 2 and everytime i try to update them thru the GUI i get the following error:

Error: Failed to request latest available version: <urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:1123)>

I enabled NTP and validated that i am in sync.

Thank you!

Logs here:
    https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/EooV7o90

• 6 replies
    1. David @david2024-08-27 12:25:09.453Z

Hi @MartyG, I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue when trying to update your software.

Thanks for confirming you've already checked your TinyPilot's clock. And thanks for sharing those logs. I can't see anything in the logs that points towards any issues. Normally, we'd expect to see some update logs, but they don't appear in the logs you shared. If possible, could you run the update and then generate a log immediately after? I'm hoping that will show us some update logs that could help point us towards the issue.

Have you been able to update your TinyPilot software before?

I'm wondering whether you're on a network that's blocking connections to your device from specific URLs. A user recently had a similar issue that they resolved by unblocking their TinyPilot on their network. Are you on a corporate network or something like that?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. MMartin Goudreau @MartyG
          2024-08-27 12:29:58.396Z

Hi David, the last time i upgraded, i did it thru the MicroSD (with BalenaEtcher) and it worked (after a couple tries). Yes, we are on a corporate LAN and both devices are permitted thru the FW for upgrades and such.

I tried again and got the same error. Here are the logs: https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/67dcwlVI

Thanks!
          Martin G

1. David @david2024-08-27 14:52:55.087Z

Thanks for that new log! Unfortunately, it hasn't revealed anything else here (there are still no update logs). Does the update fail immediately as you click the update button or does it run for a little while before failing?

1. MMartin Goudreau @MartyG
                2024-08-27 14:57:59.908Z

It fails right after the update is asked...

1. In reply todavid:
                  MMartin Goudreau @MartyG
                    2024-08-27 15:06:31.959Z

Here's a small video of the error happening...

1. David @david2024-08-28 11:14:10.188Z

Thanks for those details. Unfortunately, it looks like the video you shared didn't upload.

I've taken another look at the last logs you shared, and I can see additional network activity that looks like a probe for insecure devices. It's possible those probes are for corporate-level security. That may suggest that your network may be filtering your device's access to certain domains that TinyPilot requires to update. This feels more likely since you mention both devices have the same issue.

To test this, are you able to try updating your TinyPilot using a different network? For example a mobile hotspot or a personal network?

Please let me know if you have any questions.