No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

TinyPilot will not boot after using removable media and changing Filesystem

By Paul Dunnells @pauldsolid
    2024-08-27 16:08:05.108Z

While troubleshooting a filesize limitation with vfat while using an external USB device that was activated using move-virtual-media-to-disk, the TinyPilot no longer boots and no longer is accessible via ssh or webpage.

I'm not sure what the recovery steps are since I can't access the TinyPilot remotely. I do have physical access.

This issue is a fork of "TinyPilot won't use attached USB Media for Virtual Media" to address a new issue.

• 1 replies
    1. P
      Paul Dunnells @pauldsolid
        2024-08-27 16:15:47.896Z

The preceding steps are what lead up to this situation.
        Installed a 235GB USB Stick formatted using VFAT.
        Ran the move-virtual-media-to-disk --uuid $UUID
        Discovered the script would fail while moving the existing ISO Image because the image was too large.
        The ISO was ~13GiB, VFAT has a filesize limit of 4GiB, which I didn't know at the time.
        Without running the return media to original location script, I unmounted the USB device and formatted it to EXT4
        Re-Ran the move-virtual-media script, which failed due to not being VFAT.
        Got distracted by other issues, forgotten that I left the TinyPilot in a bad state, and rebooted the TinyPilot from the webpage.
        My TinyPilot appears to be no longer booting. I tried removing the USB stick, formatting it back to VFAT, removing power. Nothing has worked to restore the TinyPilot to booting.
        I could investigate how to return the original UUID, which got changed. The script does bind to the UUID and that UUID is no longer valid.
        Help?

1. Progress
        2. @david closed this topic 2024-08-27 18:10:50.695Z.