No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Ipv6: what is the state of support in 2024 for tinypilot

By Larry Rosenman @lrosenman
    2024-08-31 08:31:30.457Zassigned to
    • @cghague

What's the official stance on ipv6 support within tinypilot?

My colo provider is about to turn on ipv6 support and since I don't see anything ipv6 related in tinypilot's interface, I'm wondering about official support.

Thanks as always.

• 6 replies
    1. C

Hi Larry, thanks for your great question about IPv6.

I can confirm that TinyPilot works well with IPv6, but you'll need to configure the network adapter using autoconfiguration, DHCPv6, or manually over SSH using the standard Linux tools.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions!

1. LLarry Rosenman @lrosenman
          2024-09-06 16:52:52.994Z

Where would I find the network config on the tinypilot?

1. LLarry Rosenman @lrosenman
              2024-09-06 17:03:27.102Z

ok, I found dhcpcd.conf

--- AUTOGENERATED BY TINYPILOT - START ---

interface eth0
              static ip_address=209.173.34.99/29
              static routers=209.173.34.97
              static ip6_address=2607:9c00:101::3/112
              static domain_name_servers=209.173.34.97 8.8.8.8 1.1.1.1

--- AUTOGENERATED BY TINYPILOT - END ---

how do I add the IPv6 gateway?

1. Thanks for replying, and I apologize for the delayed response. I missed the question at the end of your message.

IPv6 generally determines this setting using router advertisement, so configuring it manually in dhcpcd.conf isn't a feature that dhcpcd supports. You can add custom routes using the ip -6 route add <details> command, although the change wouldn't be permanent.

Unfortunately, this type of IPv6 configuration is outside of our expertise, so we may be unable to offer the help you require on this issue. However, TinyPilot Pro uses Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye as a base operating system, so you may be able to find examples of setting up this type of IPv6 configuration by searching for guides on using IPv6 with Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye.

I appreciate that this isn't the answer you were hoping for. We have internal tickets open to investigate alternate networking configuration tools, so it's possible this may become easier in the future.

2. L
            In reply tolrosenman:
            Larry Rosenman @lrosenman
              2024-09-11 16:15:08.287Z

Ok, so y'all turned off NetworkManager. Where is there a place I can add
              sudo ip -6 route add default via 2607:9c00:101::1
              to the startup scripts?

1. I'm unsure of NetworkManager's relevance in this context, as it isn't part of the base operating system. However, I can confirm that you can run scripts after the network becomes available by creating a systemd entry with the network-online.target requirement.