No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

v2.6.4: Tinypilot doesn't detect that keyboard and HDMI cables were reconnected and fails to switch to H264

By John @tinypilotess
    2024-09-25 11:48:27.276Z

Hi folks,

Reporting 2 issues that annoy me a lot since I've started using TinyPilot 2 and then, consequently, 2a. It's been multiple updates rolled out already but the issues still persist:

1. Tinypilot doesn't detect that keyboard and HDMI cables were reconnected, the only way to make it work is to restart Tinypilot.
    2. Very often Tynypilot fails to switch to H264 and looks for stun server although it's working in LAN with direct connectivity. The only solution is to close the web browser and open it again. Tried Chrome / Firefox, same results.
      Tinypilot is used with MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021).
    • 8 replies
    1. David @david2024-09-25 14:42:57.609Z

Hi @tinypilotess, I'm sorry you're running into these issues.

Can we focus on the first issue before moving on to the second?

Tinypilot doesn't detect that keyboard and HDMI cables were reconnected, the only way to make it work is to restart Tinypilot.

Can you confirm that when you experience this behavior TinyPilot doesn't receive a display signal and cannot send USB input to the target machine? And that after rebooting your TinyPilot, it seems to work as expected.

Could you share more details around what happens in the lead up to the behavior you're experiencing here? For example, are you connecting your TinyPilot's cables to a different target machine? The more detail you can share about the steps and behavior between your devices the better.

Could you also share a TinyPilot log for me to review? On your TinyPilot web interface, go to System > Logs and click Get Shareable URL. Then paste the link in your reply.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. TJohn @tinypilotess
          2024-09-25 14:56:07.004Z2024-09-25 15:06:46.221Z

Sure. HDMI works in most of the cases when reconnected, so it's not major concern.

KB and mouse doesn't get detected until rebooted at all times.

Steps to replicate this behavior:

1. While Tinypilot is up and running disconnect usb-c cable that emulates KB and mouse and hdmi cable from laptop.
          2. Connect cables again.
          3. You'll see the image after a bit but KB and mouse won't work until Tinypilot is rebooted completely.
            Same thing happens if just usb-c cable reconnected.

I get an error when attempting to retrieve debug logs. There's no details to it, it just says "Error". If I refresh the page after the browser can't load it anymore until I manually turn off and turn on Tinypilot.

1. David @david2024-09-26 11:23:33.541Z

Thanks for those details!

I get an error when attempting to retrieve debug logs. There's no details to it, it just says "Error". If I refresh the page after the browser can't load it anymore until I manually turn off and turn on Tinypilot.

It sounds like this could be a symptom of filesystem corruption. Could you perform a factory reset on your microSD card to restore your TinyPilot to a working state?

Once your device is back up and running, could you confirm whether you can reproduce the same USB behavior and share a TinyPilot log URL?

1. TJohn @tinypilotess
                2024-09-26 17:40:30.964Z

I can't download image as I ordered both devices from https://www.kvm-ip.de, not amazon.

1. David @david2024-09-27 12:06:08.533Z

You should be able to download your image using the same license check if you ordered via kvm-ip.de. If you're still unable to download the latest image, it's possible that your Pro license has expired.

I reached out to our customer support team to send you a link to a TinyPilot image you can use to re-flash your microSD card. You should have received an email from them.

Could you download the new image and perform a factory reset?

1. TJohn @tinypilotess
                      2024-09-30 13:46:45.566Z

There was an issue with SD card indeed, I used the image provided and now able to retrieve logs. The issue with keyboard and mouse still persists.

Here's the log: https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/3Wqc4MLu
                      At 14:44 I reconnected the usbc cable and both mouse and KB stopped working.

1. David @david2024-09-30 14:27:11.521Z

Thanks for the update!

And thanks for sharing those logs. The logs confirm that there's an issue with sending USB input, but there's nothing in there that suggests what the underlying issue might be.

Since you're now running a fresh install, there shouldn't be any issues on TinyPilot's side, so I'm wondering whether this behavior is due to how the target machine is handling USB.

Can I ask for some more details about your target machine (i.e., the machine you're trying to control)? Can you tell me the make and model of your laptop along with the operating system it runs?

Does your target machine have a power save mode? Does turning off power save make a difference to the behavior here?

1. TJohn @tinypilotess
                            2024-09-30 14:35:32.332Z

It’s MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
                            macOS Sonoma 14.6.1 as of now, same issue was with Ventura.
                            Laptop is connected to power supply at all times.
                            Low power mode is set to Never. Automatic sleeping on power adapter is disabled.