No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

TinyPilot Pro image won't detect HDMI, but Community version is OK.

By Dennis Brazil @dennisjbr
    2024-09-26 16:10:52.829Zassigned to
    • @david

Hi all,
    So, I've been using the TinyPilot community version for some time and enjoyed it so much that I decided to purchase the pro version.

I'm using the HDMI USB capture stick rather than the internal capture card (more on that later).

I reimaged the micro SD with the full pro version image and unfortunately, got the No Signal error. I tried re-imaging a few times, and retried, and also tried different settings in the config.txt file. Nothing.

I completely removed the TinyPilot pro software from the card and then reinstalled it with the curl .. sh command, but still, there is no signal.

Then I completely removed the software again and installed the community version, and it all worked fine.

Finally, I decided to go with a virgin Raspberry PI OS and then install the Pro version manually using the curl .. sh command, and voila, all is working fine. What gives?

By the way, I thought I would note for others with a KVM: The internal capture worked fine, but not very well with KVMs detecting signal changes. The USB capture stick works much better and is consistently working when changing computers via the KVM.

Thanks in advance!

Solved in post #2, click to view
    • 2 replies
    1. David @david2024-09-27 10:59:48.694Z

Hi @dennisjbr, I'm sorry you're running into this issue with TinyPilot Pro.

There are two different versions of TinyPilot Pro you can download - Voyager and Hobbyist. From your descriptions, it sounds like you may have downloaded the Voyager version of TinyPilot Pro, rather than the Hobbyist version.

The difference between the two images is that TinyPilot Pro Voyager is designed to work with a Voyager device's capture hardware, whereas TinyPilot Pro Hobbyist is designed to work with an external USB capture device that people typically use for their own builds (usually people coming from the community version of the TinyPilot software).

On the TinyPilot Pro download page, could you try downloading and flashing Hobbyist microSD image instead?

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Reply1 LikeSolution
      1. DDennis Brazil @dennisjbr
          2024-09-27 19:51:30.640Z

Hi David, thanks for the reply back! I did not see the hobbyist option down below. When i have a moment, I will definitely retry reimaging. For now, everything is working but i'll know what to do next time.

Thank you!

• Progress
          with handling this problem
        • @david accepted an answer 2024-09-30 09:45:22.540Z.