2. Technical Support

Fan control isn't working?

By David @david2024-10-14 11:22:37.696Zassigned to
  • @david

• 4 replies
  1. E
    @Emptyless
      2024-10-11 22:41:47.022Z

Hi David, I just received mine and noticed the fan behaviour you are describing doesn't match my experience. With SSH I can see that the fan is configured with a temp point of 60 degrees (C) and hysteresis of 10. The CPU is consistently around 40C so I would expect the fan to be off, this is however not the case. Given that I assume I have the "newer" model, how can I turn the fan off at <50 temperatures?

1. David @david2024-10-14 11:45:30.545Z

Hi @Emptyless, I'm sorry you're running into this fan issue. I've moved your post to its own thread so we can focus on it here.

It's interesting that you're experiencing different behavior here. Like you mentioned, TinyPilot's fan normally turns on at 60°C and turns off again once the CPU temperature drops 10°C lower than that (<50°C).

Is your TinyPilot's fan ever turning off (for instance, when your TinyPilot is idle after booting with no connected target machine)? Can I ask how you're monitoring your device's temperature?

Could you share a TinyPilot log with me to review? On your TinyPilot web interface, go to System > Logs and click Get Shareable URL. Then paste the link in your reply.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. E@Emptyless
            2024-10-15 18:44:03.388Z

Hi @david , thanks for your reply. To check the temperature I SSH into the TinyPilot device and run (this is without HDMI or Data connected):

pilot@tinypilot:~ $ sudo vcgencmd measure_temp
            temp=33.1'C

The fan continues to blow nonetheless.

Here are the logs: https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/BBvmZNDS

1. David @david2024-10-16 13:55:36.264Z

Thanks for those details, @Emptyless.

This behavior definitely doesn't sound correct. Could you share the last line of /boot/conf by running this command and pasting it in your reply?

tail --lines 1 /boot/config.txt

Are you able to share a video showing the fan running with the CPU temperature low? Perhaps recording the device and then showing the following command running at the same time?

sudo watch -n 0.5 vcgencmd measure_temp

If we can confirm the fan is permanently running in these conditions, it's possible your device's fan doesn't properly connect to the fan control pin.

Please let me know if you have any questions.