No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

No Signal since update to 2.5.5

By Guy Robertson @guybor
    2021-09-01 14:11:29.062Z

I have set my unit up with a KVM physical switch like the youtube video by DB Tech. It was working as expected. I just did the update to 2.5.5 and now I'm getting no signal from either video source (input 1 or 2 on the KVM) I have physically cold booted the tinypilot and also warm booted it via the web page. What should I try next?

Do you need a copy of the log output?

TIA
    Guy

• 14 replies
    1. That's strange because nothing has changed related to video capture in a while. Can you share your logs?

1. G
        In reply toguybor:
        Guy Robertson @guybor
          2021-09-01 21:29:34.154Z

Just got back into the office....and guess what...it's working.

Here are my logs anyway so that maybe you can see what it way earlier today that was causing it to NOT work.

Thank you
          Guy

edit....how do i attach log files. I tried to copy and paste...but it gave me a "too many links" message". So I tried saving it as a text file, and that isn't allowed.

1. The easiest way is if you click "Get Shareable URL," it will upload a copy of your log file to the TinyPilot log server and then you can just share the URL it generates for you.

1. GGuy Robertson @guybor
                2021-09-02 13:02:43.597Z

Came in this morning and initially it worked on input 1. I hit CTRL CTRL 2 to get to the next input and got "no signal". Now, I'm not getting a signal from any input. I even tried physically switching it and no change.

More info....it seems I'm not getting a signal from my input 2. This is a windows machine where i had to add an HDMI video card to it since all it had on board was a vga connector and KVM switch wasn't working with it. When I go to input 2, it seems to freeze the KVM unit and even trying to switch manually at it doesn't work. I have to power it on/off to get input going back to the TinyPilot.

New Log.....
                https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/XgPHwnau

Can you see what is causing this based on the logs?

Thank you again
                Guy

2021-09-02 13:21:50.003Z

I have ghosts in my server area. LOL

It's all working again. I'm thinking it's cables coming loose or something.

1. Thanks for following up!

The logs show it failing to make a video connection before, so it could be loose wires, defective HDMI cables, a defective KVM, or a defective HDMI splitter.

• G
                In reply toguybor:
                Guy Robertson @guybor
                  2021-10-19 18:15:04.435Z

@michael

I'm still having issues with this. My xcp-ng dell server loads up just fine on KVM port3, but both of my windows 10 machines may work then don't work as soon as I hot swap the keyboard to port 1 or 2 or 4.

Is this an issue with virtual storage that I read about on a different thread? If so, can you email me an older version of tinypilot that will work.

Thank you

1. The recent updates shouldn't have affected the video capture.

I just emailed you a copy of an old build, so if that works and a current build doesn't, I'll work with you to figure out what's going on.

2021-10-25 12:29:32.760Z

@michael

Thank you for sending me the older build. I flashed it last Friday and was able to hot key swap between screens. I just tried it again after letting the 3 computers sit over the weekend where they could possibly go to sleep and lose the video connection....it is still working. I'll keep trying during the week and if it doesn't work I'll let you know.

Thank you

1. Great! Thanks for letting me know!

2021-11-01 17:43:52.711Z

@michael
                              Just an update. After a week it is still working the way it should. Do you need any additional info to try and see what was causing the issue? Or are you comfortable that it was the virtual drive support that you added (I think that is what you mentioned in another post)

Thank you
                              Guy

1. Thanks for following up! I don't need any other info at the moment. We're working on making a cleaner way to turn off virtual storage in the next version.

I can give you an early preview build when we have that ready if you're interested in testing it. That would allow you to stay on the latest build and just use an extra setting to turn off virtual storage without having to make any code changes.

2021-11-01 19:42:14.809Z

@michael
                                    Yes, send me the early build to test for you.

Thank you