No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

TinyPilot Voyager, VGA Adapter and snow/no-signal

By Paul P @paulnp
    2021-10-10 16:31:36.819Z

Hi Folks,

Just received my TinyPilot Voyager and have been trying to set it up using the VGA adapter which I purchased with it.

I'm having problem getting video signal to come in, the only clean view I've seen is the Windows loading screen. Thought I might be a problem with the adapter, so I plugged it into a monitor instead and it's working fine. I decreased the resolution on the system to 800x600 to hopefully get a more stable view, unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

Here's the logs:
    https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/cgJraRrA

Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing:

Would appreciate any feedback you have!

Regards,
    -paul

• 7 replies
    1. Thanks for reporting this! I haven't seen a case like this before.

One interesting bit from the logs is that the TinyPilot detects your Windows machine as offering 1600x1200 instead of 800x600:

Oct 10 16:26:09 tinypilot ustreamer[602]: -- INFO  [17.949    stream] -- Got new DV timings: resolution=1600x1200, pixclk=162000000

Is it possible for you to try other resolutions on the Windows machine like 1280x720 or 1920x1080?

Is there another target machine you can try connecting the Voyager to? It would help determine if the issue is specific to the Windows box or if it's potentially a hardware defect in the Voyager or HDMI-to-VGA adaptor.

1. P
        In reply topaulnp:
        Paul P @paulnp
          2021-10-11 23:44:12.644Z

Thanks for the reply, Michael.

I tried some other resolutions on the system, and I get the same scrambled results in Tinypilot. Since ustreamer seemed to be be stuck at the 1600x1200, I reset the resolution to that, and still no luck. I don't believe it's an issue with the HDMI-to-VGA adapter, since I'm using the same adapter/cable to plug into my monitor where I can see all the various resolutions working as I'd expect.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Thanks,
          -paul

1. Thanks for trying different resolutions! Hmm, this is a tough one.

Is it possible for you to connect your Voyager to a different system?

This is a standard setup, so my top suspicion is a defective hardware component. I know you mentioned that the VGA adaptor works with a normal monitor, but I still think it's possible that the VGA adaptor is defective, but the problem only manifests in conjunction with the Voyager. If the Voyager + adaptor work on a different system, it would make it very unlikely to be a VGA adaptor issue.

1. PPaul P @paulnp
                2021-10-13 00:36:00.068Z

Hello again. I've hooked it to another system, it had similar issues with the snowy/no signal/intermittent signal again. I tried hooking up to an HDMI source bypassing the VGA adapter and it ran without any issues. Let me know what's next.

1. The most likely possibility I see is that the VGA to HDMI adaptor is defective. Can I send you a free replacement to the same address as your previous order?

2. P
              In reply topaulnp:
              Paul P @paulnp
                2021-10-13 22:56:26.733Z

Yes, that would be fantastic. I'll update once I get the replacement.

1. Just wanted to check in and see if the new VGA adaptor fixed the issue.