No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

TinyPilot Voyager with PoE splitter

By MAURICIO HENRIQUES @mhenriques
    2021-11-19 17:27:23.905Z

Dear Sirs

I'm going to install a TinyPilot Voyager and power it via a PoE splitter. Can I discard the Power Connector altogether and use a front USB port for keyboard and mouse traffic?

Thanks and Regards
    Mauricio

• 3 replies
    1. Thanks for reaching out!

Are you building your own TinyPilot or purchasing a pre-made Voyager? The pre-made Voyager doesn't support PoE, so you wouldn't be able to power it that way. In theory, you could disassemble the Voyager and attach a Pi PoE HAT. In that case, I still recommend using the Power Connector, as it will prevent incorrect power flows between the Pi and the target computer.

The only USB port on the Pi/Voyager that can emulate keyboard/mouse input is the USB-C port, as it's the only one that supports USB OTG. The USB-A 2.0 and 3.0 on the front of the device do not support USB OTG.

Please let me know if you have any other questions I can answer.

1. MMAURICIO HENRIQUES @mhenriques
          2021-11-20 10:35:48.425Z

I't a pre-made Voyager. As far as powering the RPi, I understand it wouldn't know the 5V is coming from a UCTRONICS for Raspberry Pi PoE Splitter 5V Active PoE to Micro USB Adapter, but I understand the USB OTG limitation.
          Thanks for your help.

1. MMAURICIO HENRIQUES @mhenriques
              2021-11-20 10:52:15.274Z

I'tested 2 models of PoE HAT boards but the case fixing mount points for the screws does not allow a proper mount.
              I would need to "cut out" the corners of the PoE HAT module...

Mauricio