No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

Any impact to making TinyPilot Voyager 2 non-headless (ex: LXDE shell)?

By @Alt0
    2021-12-30 04:44:00.929Z

Unscrewing the base, I noticed some hidden display ports within, which are the RPI4's microHDMI which Voyager 2 doesn't expose (curious why now obstructed?). In any case, I cut my own hole (CAREFULLY!) and now have a less-headless device. I installed LXDE GUI as well. (I know all this will revert after any TinyPilot image update). Running 'htop' over SSH, the performance impact seems to not really be noticable when leveraging as its intended primary purpose of a KVM over IP. Have you found that installing a pi-specific shell GUI causes any issues like LXDE, or another? Are there other [temporary] tweaks that may be of interest now that I can access the device directly?

Thanks!

• 2 replies
    1. Installing an alternate shell should be fine. The TinyPilot app itself doesn't require many resources, so there's room to run other things alongside it.

The risks are the same as with any system - the more applications you install, there's more attack surface for security vulnerabilities, and there's increased chances of programs conflicting with one another. But something like LXDE should be low-risk,

are the RPI4's microHDMI which Voyager 2 doesn't expose (curious why now obstructed?).

We used to expose it in the Voyager 1 because it was flush against the case anyway, so we figured why not. In the Voyager 2, we couldn't position the Pi ports flush with the case, so it didn't seem worthwhile to add a connector to the internal microHDMI port, since customers rarely want to use them.

1. A@Alt0
          2021-12-30 20:47:05.367Z

Got it! Thanks!