No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Using TinyPilot with Raspberry Camera / without HDMI

By @stba
    2022-02-10 14:43:52.781Z

Hello,

I have a device which does not support HDMI or VGA output. I thought I could replace the HDMI Adapter Board with the Raspberry Pi camera - however it does not seem to be plug-and-play - I still get "no signal" in the web ui.
    Is there any trick to it?

Additionally the mouse does not seem to work when the HDMI is not connected. Not sure if this is the device or the fact that there is no Video signal. The Keyboard seems to be recognized.

It would be great if you could provide any advice on this.

stba

• 2 replies
    1. Michael Lynch @michael2022-02-11 13:42:01.525Z2023-05-10 22:03:26.533Z

Thanks for reporting this!

The camera has different settings from the HDMI capture board, which you can find here:

https://github.com/tiny-pilot/ustreamer/tree/1dafb54621515741ff2d76edc882de77033e06b0#raspberry-pi-camera-example

You'd need to modify the uStreamer settings.

To begin, open the ustreamer.service file:

nano /lib/systemd/system/ustreamer.service

You'll see an ExecStart line that begins like this:

ExecStart=/opt/ustreamer/ustreamer \
        --host 127.0.0.1 \
        --port 8001

That's where you'd apply changes for PiCamera settings.

To apply the changes to the video stream, run this command after saving the ustreamer.service file:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload && sudo service ustreamer restart

Additionally the mouse does not seem to work when the HDMI is not connected. Not sure if this is the device or the fact that there is no Video signal. The Keyboard seems to be recognized.

Some systems behave differently when virtual media is enabled. Can you try disabling virtual media?

Edit (2023-05-10: Disabling virtual media is no longer necessary after TinyPilot Pro 2.4.0.

1. F
        In reply tostba:
        Don Eitner @FreihEitner
          2022-02-16 06:59:25.676Z

Alternately can you use an adapter for whatever video output your device does have, such as DVI-D to HDMI or DisplayPort to HDMI?