No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

can't connect

By c @startracer
    2022-02-24 17:01:56.615Z

I have just installed tinypilot. It i visible on the router, but I can't connect via https://tinypilot.local or https://tinypilot

If there is no way to connect to it, then I can't begin to troubleshoot

• 20 replies

There are 20 replies. Estimated reading time: 12 minutes

1. Diego @diego
        2022-02-24 17:29:48.393Z

Hello @startracer! Are you able to connect to it via straight IP address? If it shows on your router, there should be an entry with the IP associated to the TinyPilot, use that one. Let me know if that works.

1. Sc @startracer
            2022-02-24 17:56:10.178Z

I tried that - it didn't work

• In reply tostartracer:
            Diego @diego
              2022-02-24 18:23:22.073Z

Sorry to hear that @startracer

Are the ethernet leds blinking on the TinyPilot? How about the other LEDs?

Do you have any particular network setup, like for example Tailscale VPN?

1. S
                In reply tostartracer:
                c @startracer
                  2022-02-24 20:15:48.125Z

I have a solid red light on the back and a solid green light next to the ethernet cable
                  When I try to connect in the browser, I get this page:

502 Bad Gateway
                  nginx/1.14.2

1. S
                    In reply tostartracer:
                    c @startracer
                      2022-02-25 11:11:36.694Z

I don't know what else to try - I can't troubleshoot this without access to tinypilot, and it seems to be impossible to connect to tinypilot

1. Diego @diego
                          2022-02-25 17:13:18.007Z2022-02-28 18:48:55.866Z

Hi @startracer

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I suspect you are hitting the following bug. The workaround options are:

• Re-flash the microSD (you can find instructions on how to do so in this document)

• Enable SSH and run the following command. NOTE: To enable SSH you will have to mount the microSD on another computer and then add a file called ssh to the boot partition.

sudo mv /home/tinypilot/.flask-secret-key /home/tinypilot/old-flask-secret-key && \
                             sudo service tinypilot restart

• If you don't have a microSD reader, we can ship you a replacement microSD.
                          1. T@tinykvm123
                              2023-02-01 09:34:23.011Z

Hi @diego. I'm running into the same issue that is reported by @startracer. I have tried all 3 URLs but get the following error messages:

This site can’t be reached
                              Check if there is a typo in tinypilot.
                              DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Check if there is a typo in tinypilot.local.

Check if there is a typo in tinypilot.localdomain.

1. I tried using both Chrome, Chrome in Incognito & Firefox.
                              2. I have a mesh WiFi router that broadcasts 2 SSIDs. I tried connecting to the 2nd SSID then repeated step 1, with the same errors above.

I don't have a microSD reader. Are you able to send me a replacement microSD as well?

1. David @david2023-02-01 12:57:20.301Z

Hi @tinykvm123, sorry that you're running into problems connecting to your TinyPilot's web interface.

Are you able to try connecting to your TinyPilot using its IP address in your browser's address bar e.g. 192.168.0.123?

1. T@tinykvm123
                                    2023-02-01 15:22:31.243Z

Hi David.

I am not. I tried the ping app via Terminal on my Macbook Pro:

(base) aloha2018@mbp1822gb10core Colab Notebooks % ping 192.168.0.123
                                    PING 192.168.0.123 (192.168.0.123): 56 data bytes
                                    Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
                                    Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
                                    Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
                                    Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
                                    Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

1. David @david2023-02-01 17:59:14.382Z

Sorry, I didn't mention that you need to use your TinyPilot's IP, rather than the example I gave. If your TinyPilot is on the same network as your Mac, you can run arp -a on your Mac's command line to get a list of IP addresses for the devices on the network.

It should output something like this:

tinypilot (192.168.0.XXX) at ...

Or, if you have access to your router's web interface, you should be able to find the IP addresses of the devices on your network using that.

Once you have your TinyPilot's IP address, can you try connecting to the web interface by entering the IP address in your browser's address bar?

1. T@tinykvm123
                                          2023-02-01 18:39:22.457Z

Thanks, that is helpful David. I am now trying it with my desktop Windows 10 since that has an Ethernet connection as well. Same problems.

Will the device be listed as “TinyPilot KVM” or something similarly descriptive? We have a smart home so there are almost a hundred devices connected to our Google Mesh WiFi Pro and the challenge is multiple “unknown” devices…

1. David @david2023-02-02 12:33:19.211Z

By default, TinyPilot's host name is tinypilot which is how it's usually listed when you use tools like arp or your router's connected device list.

Were you able to access the web interface before, or is this the first time you've used your TinyPilot? If it's the first time and you can't find the IP address, that might suggest TinyPilot didn't boot correctly the first time it powered on. Typically, a factory reset will fix this. But I noticed you mentioned you don't have an SD card reader to perform the reset. I can send you a replacement SD card if that works for you?

1. T@tinykvm123
                                                2023-02-02 14:45:05.687Z

Hi David, thanks for getting back to me.

I have a Google Mesh WiFi Pro, so there's no web interface like on a normal router (e.g. 192.168.1.1). You can only review the connected devices via the Google Home app. However, I did review that list and saw nothing named tinypilot or anything like that. I see several "Unnamed devices" and things like "espressowifi" and tried connecting to the IP addresses listed for them, without luck.

I have never been able to access the web interface, this is the first time I'm attempting to use my TinyPilot. I do agree with you, I think the TinyPilot might not have booted correctly the first time it was powered on. You are also correct in that I don't have an SD card writer to do a factory reset, so a replacement SD card would be worth a shot. How do I send you my contact & order info?

1. David @david2023-02-03 12:10:59.860Z

Do you have a USB drive that you can use? TinyPilot can also boot from USB, so you can flash a USB drive with the TinyPilot image and use that to test whether your TinyPilot will boot. We'll still send you a new SD card if it's the issue, but this verifies that it is the problem. Since we're just testing, you don't need to try and change the boot order on your TinyPilot. TinyPilot should try and boot from USB as a fallback if there's no SD card present.

Our boot from USB blog post explains how to do this, but in short you need to:

1. Download the TinyPilot image
                                                  2. Flash the USB drive with the TinyPilot image
                                                  3. Remove the SD card from your TinyPilot
                                                  4. Insert the drive into your TinyPilot
                                                  5. Power-on your TinyPilot
                                                  6. Wait at least 5 minutes for your TinyPilot to boot
                                                  1. T@tinykvm123
                                                      2023-02-03 12:11:58.238Z

Thanks, I'll try this out on Sunday afternoon when we return from vacation.

1. In reply todavid:
                                                        T@tinykvm123
                                                          2023-02-06 17:37:52.231Z

I was able to get it to work using a USB drive to factory reset the device.

This thing is great. Will be ordering almost a dozen more. Thanks!!

1. David @david2023-02-06 19:20:07.905Z

Awesome! I'm glad you've now got your TinyPilot up and running!

• In reply todavid:
                                                T@tinykvm123
                                                  2023-02-01 15:53:52.124Z2023-02-01 16:29:43.392Z

Here's the error message in Chrome:

This site can’t be reached192.168.0.123 took too long to respond.
                                                  Try:

Checking the connection
                                                  Checking the proxy and the firewall
                                                  ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Other potentially relevant notes:
                                                  I am not using any VPN set-up.
                                                  I will upload a picture, shortly

Here's a video of my TinyPilot, in case that is helpful:
                                                  https://www.icloud.com/photos/#001ZOB5La30cj2VmgQS0dlzVw

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#001ZOB5La30cj2VmgQS0dlzVw

2. R
                                            In reply tostartracer:
                                            Fnu Rahimuddinn @rdsaifi21
                                              2023-11-16 04:53:31.490Z

Do i have to renew my tinypilot access?

Eligibility
                                              TinyPilot Pro image downloads are available to customers who purchased a TinyPilot device or TinyPilot Pro license within the last 12 months.

If you made your purchase more than a year ago, please consider renewing your TinyPilot Pro software license for continued access to the latest software updates and access to TinyPilot's full range of technical support resources.

1. David @david2023-11-17 12:28:26.758Z

Hi @rdsaifi21, thanks for your question!

You can purchase a new 1-year license from our website. The license gives you access to TinyPilot's latest features (we just released TinyPilot Pro 2.6.2), bugfixes and priority support.

As a small company, we rely on license renewals to fund improvements to TinyPilot’s software, so thank you in advance if you choose to renew!

If you'd rather not renew, I can send you the most recent TinyPilot Pro image that you qualify for. That will allow you to factory reset your device and get back up and running.