No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

Video Disappears in a blink of an eye

By @cinemafunk
    2022-02-26 23:34:26.502Z

This is an issue that I've been experiencing for a while, since I started using TinyPilot actually, but I'm finally into wanting to work towards a solution. When I visit my TinyPilot, the video displays for what seems to be one frame and then disappears. I can refresh and refresh and it continues to do that same thing.

I'm using this HDMI video capture card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CXWPYQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Link to logs: https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/lENpmBvB

• 9 replies
    1. Diego @diego
        2022-02-28 18:11:46.076Z

Hello @cinemafunk - As for what I can see in the picture of your amazon link, your HDMI video capture card/dongle has been tested compatible with TinyPilot (see: HDMI capture devices).

However, would it be possible for you to test your TinyPilot unit in another computer, without using such HDMI dongle? I'm trying to rule it out of the problem.

Another question, if you do not mind... has the configuration of this TinyPilot unit been modified in any way (via web UI or via ssh)?

1. C
          In reply tocinemafunk:
          @cinemafunk
            2022-03-05 14:57:05.775Z2022-03-05 15:19:39.571Z

Thank you for the quick reply, and patience while I replied.

I attached my tinypilot directly to my personal computer.

With HDMI dongle: I am getting the same issue. Image appears briefly, then disappears. A refresh of the browser replicates the issue. New logs provided: https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/xebgaaqD
            Without HDMI dongle. No signal. https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/xebgaaqD

To answer your other question about other installations: I have installed Nagios NRPE client for remote monitoring. However, this issue has been present before I installed the monitor.

1. In reply tocinemafunk:
              Diego @diego
                2022-03-08 18:41:42.485Z

Hi @cinemafunk - Would it be possible for you to disable all browser extensions and test again? A browser extension may be causing video to show up and then disappear. Please test and attach new logs if you do not mind.

1. C
                  In reply tocinemafunk:
                  @cinemafunk
                    2022-03-09 05:02:07.884Z

We might be getting somewhere. I rarely use other browsers, but it I do have a solid connection in Firefox 98 out of the box. Although, my keystrokes aren't working.

The same situation in Edge occurs in Chrome. The page loads, but video signal for a brief second. I tried Chrome without extensions. I also tried the Brave browser on my Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 VM.

Diego @diego
                        2022-03-09 18:59:59.825Z

Hey @cinemafunk !

• Would you be able to upload logs, while using Firefox 98? It's interesting it worked fine there (except for keystrokes).

• Also, when you mean keystrokes, you mean physical keyboard keystrokes, or the virtual keyboard in TinyPilot web interface?

1. C
                          In reply tocinemafunk:
                          @cinemafunk
                            2022-03-12 21:54:38.212Z

Hello,

Uploaded here: https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/hAtLLfcU

It looks like the browser sees my keystrokes, but they are not being passed to the console. Even using the virtual keyboard, it does not pass keystrokes.

I did notice that the console does blink on occasion.

Diego @diego
                                2022-03-17 19:41:25.646Z

Hi @cinemafunk - To be honest with you I'm a bit lost regarding keystrokes. From the logs, it certainly looks like the keystrokes are reaching the TinyPilot, but they are not being forwarded to the target system, and I'm not sure why.

Mar 08 22:57:07 thin-man-pi python[619]: 2022-03-08 22:57:07.883 socket_api      ERROR [SENSITIVE] Failed to write key: d (keycode=KeyD). Failed to write to HID interface: /dev/hidg0. Is USB cable connected? [/SENSITIVE]
                                Mar 08 22:57:08 thin-man-pi python[619]: 2022-03-08 22:57:08.413 socket_api      ERROR [SENSITIVE] Failed to write key: s (keycode=KeyS). Failed to write to HID interface: /dev/hidg0. Is USB cable connected? [/SENSITIVE]
                                Mar 08 22:57:08 thin-man-pi python[619]: 2022-03-08 22:57:08.948 socket_api      ERROR [SENSITIVE] Failed to write key: f (keycode=KeyF). Failed to write to HID interface: /dev/hidg0. Is USB cable connected? [/SENSITIVE]
                                Mar 08 22:57:09 thin-man-pi python[619]: 2022-03-08 22:57:09.468 socket_api      ERROR [SENSITIVE] Failed to write key: s (keycode=KeyS). Failed to write to HID interface: /dev/hidg0. Is USB cable connected? [/SENSITIVE]
                                Mar 08 22:57:09 thin-man-pi python[619]: 2022-03-08 22:57:09.995 socket_api      ERROR [SENSITIVE] Failed to write key: d (keycode=KeyD). Failed to write to HID interface: /dev/hidg0. Is USB cable connected? [/SENSITIVE]
                                Mar 08 22:57:10 thin-man-pi python[619]: 2022-03-08 22:57:10.521 socket_api      ERROR [SENSITIVE] Failed to write key: f (keycode=KeyF). Failed to write to HID interface: /dev/hidg0. Is USB cable connected? [/SENSITIVE]

• I am a bit confused about what works and what does not work. I assume you are using Windows, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Can you also confirm the following? If you use Chrome on Windows (?), without extensions, video appears for a second, then the image completely disappears, if you refresh, you get the next frame, and so on. But if you use Firefox on Windows (?), without extensions, you can see video ok, but mouse and/or keyboard does not work (please confirm both are not working, or perhaps mouse works and keyboard does not?).

• You mentioned you have been experiencing the issue of video disappearing after one frame, for a long time. One question I have is: How were you able to use the TinyPilot in such conditions? Has is it ever worked fine for you?

1. Progress
                                2. C
                                  @cinemafunk
                                    2022-04-23 18:55:53.988Z

I know it's been awhile but I finally had time to re-visit this.

I've recently re-shuffled my network rack and afterwards, the video has become stable and the keyboard works. I'm at a loss for words on why all of a sudden this is working, but I can't be upset at the results.

1. Diego @diego
                                        2022-04-25 18:06:06.489Zreplies tocinemafunk:

Hi @cinemafunk, thanks for the update! I'm happy it is working for you now :))