No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

Can the Tinypilot also replace my VPN?

By CoffeeShopFan @CoffeeShopFan
    2022-03-10 21:00:06.498Z2022-03-10 21:14:06.628Z

Hi, my company allows me to work from home, but I must keep my company's laptop in a designated area (i.e. my home). I cannot work from a coffee shop or a even a library in the next town. I think this product will allow me to leave my work laptop at home and use my personal laptop for work, thus freeing me to work from a coffee shop or other location further away. I think if I set up Tailscale, i can connect to my work computer from the outside internet. However, I'd like to ask if there is a way to set up Tinypilot such that it can also replace my current VPN that I use to make all the traffic from my personal laptop to look like it is coming from my home as well? Will there be any conflicts to install both Tailscale and WireGuard at the same time? Or do i set the tinypilot as a exit node on Tailscale? I am not very tech savy but I am wiling to learn. Thanks.

• 1 replies
    1. Diego @diego
        2022-03-15 17:02:33.620Z

Hello @CoffeeShopFan - Welcome to the forum! I do apologize for taking so long to reply.

I think if I set up Tailscale, i can connect to my work computer from the outside internet.

That is correct, you can do that with Tailscale.

I'd like to ask if there is a way to set up Tinypilot such that it can also replace my current VPN that I use to make all the traffic from my personal laptop to look like it is coming from my home as well?

It is possible to do it, because TinyPilot allows you to install third-party software. However, that's not a scenario where we can offer guidance or support, as it’s unrelated to TinyPilot’s functionality as a KVM over IP device.

Will there be any conflicts to install both Tailscale and WireGuard at the same time?

In my experience, having two VPN software products at the same time is a call for problems. I wouldn't recommend doing so. Furthermore, Tailscale is built on top of WireGuard, so there shouldn't be any need to install an additional instance of WireGuard.

Let me know if you have further questions, I'll be glad to answer them.