No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

TinyPilot and Optiplex 9020M differences

By M H @mhdrateln
    2022-03-12 04:05:18.807Z

tinypilot when connected to an Optiplex 9020M has problems:
    1.- display Bios settings f2 and f5 system test is OK
    2.- Linux Boot options screen not displaying and Linux Rockylinux does not display
    3.- Virtual media does not work
    4.- Keyboard and Mouse works well (verified it by disconnecting the tinyoilot vga and plugged a external monitor)
    When connecting the tinypilot to a 2007 Sony and 2020 MSI laptop it all seams to work

• 4 replies
    1. Diego @diego
        2022-03-14 16:04:01.622Z

Hello @mhdrateln ! I'm sorry to hear TinyPilot is not working for you on that system.

• Are you connecting the TinyPilot and the Optiplex 9020M via straight HDMI cable or are you using the VGA to HDMI adapter?
        • Would you be able to upload logs? This is how you would upload them: TinyPilot web interface > System > Logs > Get Shareable URL.
        1. MM H @mhdrateln
            2022-09-03 03:24:40.431Z

Hi Diego, I am re visiting the use of the TinyPilot voyager 2 with the Dell Optiplex. Could we schedule a zoom session to show mi issues with

this is my configuration,

2.- Linux Boot options screen not displaying and Linux Rockylinux does not display
            4.- Keyboard and Mouse works well (verified it by disconnecting the tinyoilot vga and plugged a external monitor)
            When connecting the tinypilot to a 2007 Sony and 2020 MSI laptop it all works

This are the error messages I get from the TinyPilot are:

1.- Error Retrieving Debug Logs Please refresh the page and try again, details Error
            504 Gateway time-out nginx

2.- When trying to find a software update I get

Failed to Retrieve Version Information
            Error: Malformed API response, content type must be JSON.
            Response status: 504

504 Gateway Time-out

nginx/1.14.2

I also remember accessing via ssh, which now forgot. mgf@ipaddress but do not remember the password

• Progress
            with handling this problem
          • M
            M H @mhdrateln
              2022-09-03 03:47:15.233Z

By the way I can get an iso from a https address. as in (https://download.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/9/isos/x86_64/Rocky-9.0-x86_64-dvd.iso )

What are my chances to make this tinypilot work if I pay the pro license ?

1. Diego @diego
                  2022-09-04 23:08:49.590Zreplies tomhdrateln:

Hello @mhdrateln - Thank you for posting your questions in our Forum. I'll try to help you as much as possible.

• Is this a TinyPilot Voyager 2 bought from us? Or is this a DIY TinyPilot? If it is a DIY TinyPilot, can you provide more details, such us which hardware you're using, which OS, etc? For DIY TinyPilots, we only offer technical support for TinyPilot software running on the Raspberry Pi 4B and Raspberry Pi OS 32-bit.

• From a picture of the Optiplex 9020M I found online, I can see it has a DisplayPort and a VGA port. Which one are you using to connect to the TinyPilot? If you are using the VGA port, is the VGA to HDMI adapter USB powered?

To answer your questions:

Could we schedule a zoom session to show mi issues?

No, unfortunately we do not provide that kind of support. We're limited to this Forum (faster response times) and e-mail support, sorry.

1. I'm not sure what the problem here is. I'm sorry if I am missunderstanding you, but this looks more like a comment rather than a description of a problem. Are there any issues displaying the BIOS?
                  2. So it looks like nothing is being displayed after BIOS, if I got this right. Do you get a "NO SIGNAL" screen, or a blank screen with no message? Have you tried using DisplayPort (with the corresponding adapter) instead of VGA?
                  3. Could you provide more details on this one? Are you at least able to transfer and then mount the image from the TinyPilot web interface?
                  4. Nice test. So we know at least keyboard and mouse are working. I believe the main issue is the display; you should be getting a much better experience if we are able to fix that.

When connecting the tinypilot to a 2007 Sony and 2020 MSI laptop it all works.

Good to know your TinyPilot works with different target machines. Again, I believe we can tailor this down to the display in the Optiplex 9020M. I would try a different VGA to HDMI adapter (it has to be USB powered), also using different HDMI cables can help resolve this. I know it sounds crazy, but most of display issues get solved by swapping the HDMI cable. FYI, we use and recommend Cable Matters brand of HDMI cables; we rarely have issues with those.

This are the error messages I get from the TinyPilot are:

1.- Error Retrieving Debug Logs Please refresh the page and try again, details Error
                  504 Gateway time-out nginx

2.- When trying to find a software update I get

Failed to Retrieve Version Information
                  Error: Malformed API response, content type must be JSON.
                  Response status: 504

I also remember accessing via ssh, which now forgot. mgf@ipaddress but do not remember the password

Are you behind any proxies? That would explain error 504. If not, it would be great to inspect status of the services (nginx in particular) and a few system logs from within a SSH session. It would be great if you could remember that password. If you are unable to remember, would you be able to boot single user and recover the password?