No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

NGINX Server not starting

By Michael @Lateralus11235
    2022-05-09 10:02:57.479Z2022-05-09 14:32:30.422Z

Good morning @michael! I’ve had great success and a lot of use out of the Tiny Pilot for a few weeks now.

Unfortunately, when I went to log on to my tiny pilot via the web URL (IP address or host name - ssh is fine) I couldn’t connect to the web server. I did some research on this forum and ran the command ‘ /opt/tinypilot-privileged/update && sudo reboot’ and it failed with the error below:

fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Unable to start service nginx: Job for nginx.service failed because the control process exited with error code.\nSee \"systemctl status nginx.service\" and \"journalctl -xe\" for details.\n"}

systemctl status nginx.service returned:

● nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2022-05-09 10:47:32 BST; 2min 42s ago
         Docs: man:nginx(8)
      Process: 3512 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/nginx -t -q -g daemon on; master_process on; (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

and journalctl -xe returned:

May 09 10:47:32 tinypilot ansible-systemd[3506]: Invoked with name=nginx state=started enabled=True daemon_reload=False daemon_reexec=False no_block=False force=None masked=
    May 09 10:47:32 tinypilot systemd[1]: Starting A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server...
    -- Subject: A start job for unit nginx.service has begun execution
    -- Defined-By: systemd
    -- Support: https://www.debian.org/support
    -- 
    -- A start job for unit nginx.service has begun execution.
    -- 
    -- The job identifier is 982.
    May 09 10:47:32 tinypilot nginx[3512]: nginx: [emerg] socket() [::]:80 failed (97: Address family not supported by protocol)
    May 09 10:47:32 tinypilot nginx[3512]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
    May 09 10:47:32 tinypilot systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    -- Subject: Unit process exited
    -- 
    -- An ExecStartPre= process belonging to unit nginx.service has exited.
    -- 
    -- The process' exit code is 'exited' and its exit status is 1.
    May 09 10:47:32 tinypilot systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    -- Subject: Unit failed
    -- 
    -- The unit nginx.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
    May 09 10:47:32 tinypilot systemd[1]: Failed to start A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server.
    -- Subject: A start job for unit nginx.service has failed
    -- 
    -- A start job for unit nginx.service has finished with a failure.
    -- 
    -- The job identifier is 982 and the job result is failed.

—-

I was working fine on Friday and when I went to log on on Sunday the web server was done.

Solved in post #13, click to view
    • 14 replies
    1. Diego @diego
        2022-05-09 13:42:14.350Z

Hello @Lateralus11235. I'm sorry you're having this issue!

Thank you for the logs you have sent so far, unfortunately, they are not enough for me to diagnose your problem. Can you run the following utility to collect additional logs, so I can review them? (It will give you a URL at the end, please copy that and paste in your response)

sudo /opt/tinypilot-privileged/collect-debug-logs

1. LMichael @Lateralus11235
            2022-05-09 19:14:30.817Z
                2022-05-09 19:18:13.346Z

Not sure it matters but I had also installed Tailscale following these instructions: https://tinypilotkvm.com/blog/tailscale . Everything was smooth sailing until Sunday evening. I logged on to a server... and the next day it was inaccessible.

1. Diego @diego
                    2022-05-10 21:12:34.789Z

Hi @Lateralus11235 - Thank you for uploading the logs. I was able to review them.

It appears something got corrupted along the way. The logs are not clear enough, so I'm unable to determine exactly what happened. I recommend you reset your TinyPilot to factory defaults.

• L
                In reply toLateralus11235:
                Michael @Lateralus11235
                  2022-05-16 17:42:45.053Z

I've thinned to do a factory reset using both the original SD card and a new SD card. Nothing comes up when I go to either the IP address or https://tinypilot.

I tired to SSH in but neither the default or old PW work (tried it as well) and I suspect that unless SSH access is turned on I can't access it. I can bing the device. I can ping the device and it has both the power and ETH lights.

1. Diego @diego
                      2022-05-16 20:36:20.058Z

Hey @Lateralus11235 - I'm sorry you're going through all this hassle.

Please note that the first boot after a factory reset takes longer than usual, about 5 minutes. So it would be wise to wait for that period of time before trying to connect.

Also, you won't be able to SSH, as the factory default for that is to be disabled. You would have to enable SSH again from the TinyPilot web interface. But if you are unable to access the web interface, then enabling SSH won't be possible.

It would appear NGINX server is not starting, but I can't think of anything that would cause this after a factory reset. This is strange.

Would it be ok if we ship you a new SD card for your TinyPilot? With TinyPilot installed.

2022-05-16 20:56:29.289Z

Sure, I'm open to shipping a new card.

I waited about 10 min before connecting if that helps in diagnosing this. I'm going to reflash two new SD cards and give it another go in the meantime. If either work I'll drop a note here, thanks!

1. Diego @diego
                              2022-05-16 20:59:42.305Z

Please also check your router, the IP address of the TinyPilot may have changed, due to DHCP.

• L
                          Michael @Lateralus11235
                            2022-05-16 21:01:02.870Z

Just confirming this is normal when loading the image?

1. In reply toLateralus11235:
                              Diego @diego
                                2022-05-16 21:03:32.449Z

No, that doesn't look ok

1. L
                                  Michael @Lateralus11235
                                    2022-05-16 21:04:26.650Z

I'm downloading the image again from this link: https://tinypilotkvm.com/pro/license-check

The file downloaded before was tinypilot-voyager-2.4.1-2022-05-12T2050Z.img

1. L
                                      Michael @Lateralus11235
                                        2022-05-16 21:09:06.729Z

I didn't get the error this time. Giveing it another go.

ReplySolution
                                        1. L
                                          Michael @Lateralus11235
                                            2022-05-16 21:22:39.450Z

Success! All good. Thanks @Diego!

1. Diego @diego
                                                2022-05-16 21:27:06.040Z

@Lateralus11235 - I'm glad you were able to resolve it! Thank you for the update.