No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Connect local monitor and keyboard

By @arrior
    2022-07-03 19:36:12.516Z

Is it possible to have a local monitor and keyboard (via usb) on the Voyager 2? I want to be able to connect a monitor to the unit along with a keyboard while still being able to get to it via network for control?

• 6 replies
    1. Diego @diego
        2022-07-04 23:09:59.361Z

Hello @arrior - Thank you for posting your question here in the Forum.

• You can connect a keyboard to one of the USB ports in the Voyager 2 and it should work without issues.

• As for the monitor, if you are planning to use a USB monitor, it should theoretically work, but we have not tested that scenario. We'll be happy to know if you happen to make this work.

• You could also connect a standard monitor, but it will require some surgery. If you unscrew the case open, then find the micro HDMI ports (the TinyPilot is a Raspberry Pi 4 in the inside), you can connect a regular monitor to one of these 2 ports. If you are skilled enough with tools, you could even drill a hole in the case where these ports are, otherwise you won't be able to close the case when the monitor is connected.

1. In reply toarrior:

Hi @arrior - thanks for the question!

Do you want a monitor and keyboard into the Voyager 2 or the target computer? That's usually the more common request. You can connect a monitor and keyboard to the target computer and connect the Voyager 2 to the target computer in parallel so that you can use the target computer either directly or through the TinyPilot Voyager 2.

1. Z@zoloc
              2022-07-07 20:24:12.703Z

What do you mean by:
              "in parallel" please explain a bit more??

Thanks

1. Diego @diego
                  2022-07-07 20:36:31.766Z

It means you can connect the TinyPilot and also connect a monitor and keyboard to the target computer. For example, if your target computer is a server that normally doesn't have a monitor and keyboard attached to it, you could connect these devices and you could also connect the TinyPilot, and everything should work smoothly (you would have local access via the monitor and keyboard, and you would have remote access via the TinyPilot).

• If you don't mind, can you clarify what is it that you are trying to accomplish?
                  1. Z@zoloc
                      2022-07-07 21:05:19.310Z

thank you for the quick reply!
                      i see only one HDMI port at the tinypilot. SO how to connect to the monitor as well as to the target computer?

Thanks

1. Diego @diego
                          2022-07-07 21:30:14.190Z

See my previous post for instructions if what you need is a monitor for the TinyPilot. This is possible, but you would need to open the case to find the 2 micro HDMI ports where you would connect the local monitor. Nevertheless, is this really what you are looking for? You are only going to get a command line interface for the TinyPilot out of this.

I believe you are looking to do something else. If you want a monitor and keyboard for the target computer, you can connect both like you would normally do. And the TinyPilot connected to an HDMI out port + USB port.

May I ask, brand and model of your target computer?