No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Shows video but cannot connect to tinypilot

By John Sikora @johnsikora
    2022-07-08 00:45:05.527Z

Strange problem. I bring up tinypilot and it shows the initial screen but it seems like keyboard strokes are not passed to tinypilot. Video is working fine. There is a message that shows a red disconnected status but again, the video works fine and will show screen changes if I log into the PC via a remote service. Running the most current version (just upgraded recently).

• 7 replies
    1. J
      John Sikora @johnsikora
        2022-07-08 00:47:16.684Z

Should also mention that I am using remoteIT to talk to the tinypilot. It was working when I last tried it (before the most recent update).

1. JJohn Sikora @johnsikora
            2022-07-08 00:58:18.493Z

New info. I can connect using the ip address on my internal network. It's just not working for keyboard inputs from remoteit.

1. Diego @diego
                2022-07-11 21:22:54.050Z

Hi @johnsikora - I'm sorry you are having this issue. Thank you for reporting it here in the Forum.

• This is strange indeed. Never seen it before. I'm not sure how much I will be able to help you if the problem is with remote.it. However, I'll try my best. Are you unable to type when you use HTTPS connection, SSH or both?

• Do you have another device registered in remote.it, and if so, are you able to use keyboard on such device? Just trying to isolate the problem.

• Would you be able to upload full logs? This is how you would upload them: TinyPilot web interface > System > Logs > Get Shareable URL (copy the URL it will give you and paste it in your response).

2022-07-11 21:39:24.580Z

I thought I had put an entry into the log a couple of days ago, but I didn't so apologies. You can close the incident.

I was one update from current on remote.it. Once I updated it to the most current level, it started working again. Not sure it the update did the trick or just reinstalling it. Either way, I'm not sure I could duplicate the problem again. I only have the one device so I couldn't try another interface in remote.it. Also, it didn't seem to matter whether it was HTTPS or not. There was communication going on since I could see screen changes. Just couldn't interact via the keyboard. But, again, it does seem to be working fine on the latest version from remote.it.

Thanks for the quick and on going support. Your product is really great. Just as an FYI, I'm using it to control a remote telescope. It's the only product that I'm aware of that allows me to see the boot level messages remotely.

1. Thanks for the kind words, John!

Just as an FYI, I'm using it to control a remote telescope. It's the only product that I'm aware of that allows me to see the boot level messages remotely.

That's really cool. Are you able to share more details about the model of telescope?

2022-07-11 22:24:56.876Z

The telescope is a Planewave 12.5 CDK with a Planewave L350 mount, two cameras, a filter wheel, and other accessories attached to it. I use a MINIX mini PC to run the control software that runs the telescope, its mount, and all the cameras. One of the big issues that you run into using windows is that if it's not set right the MINIX PC will go into recovery mode. So, you have to have a way to access the boot screen every once in a while. That's a big deal when the scope is 2000 miles from it's user.

1. Very cool! It's always so fun to hear about applications for TinyPilot that I never would have imagined. Thanks for sharing!