No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

Whiteware USB-C Splitter

By @neo243
    2022-07-21 11:00:22.012Z

Hello,
    we wanted to test TinyPilot and we have everything necessary at the company and got these splitters flying around can we use them for testing? https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08YS32ZW7

Greetings

Neo

• 4 replies
    1. Diego @diego
        2022-07-21 21:03:37.354Z2022-07-22 22:05:32.505Z

Hello @neo243 - Thank you for posting your question in our Forum. Also, thank you for your kind interest in the TinyPilot Voyager 2.

• We have not had the opportunity to test the splitter you mentioned, so I am unable to guarantee anything.

• From the Amazon description of the item, and for what I can understand of it, it looks like the device splits power and data into two different ports. This device seems to be geared towards using it with a mobile device, like a phone or a tablet perhaps and it appears it is intended to be used as a way to expand the only USB-C port available in mobile devices. May I ask, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking to control a phone through a TinyPilot? If so, it is possible this would work, but again, I can not give you my word for it. It would be great if you could provide me with a cabling diagram of your intended use.

• If you are looking to control 2 or more target computers (like PCs or servers) with a single TinyPilot Voyager 2, then you should be looking at a KVM device instead. Here is a list of KVM devices. I can assist you if you need more help with this.

• Also, let me know if you have further questions and/or comments, I'll be glad to answer them!

1. In reply toneo243:

Hey Neo,

Thanks for your question. As @diego said, we can't say anything for sure about third-party hardware that we haven't tested, but the thing to look out for is reverse current. If you have two separate sources of power (the target computer and the AC adaptor powering the Pi), you need to ensure voltage can't flow the wrong way between them. If the device doesn't advertise protection against reverse current, it probably isn't designed to split power in the way you want.

TinyPilot makes a power connector, but we no longer ship it to Europe.

Are you in Germany? TinyPilot's German distributor might have some spare power connectors they can sell you: tinypilotsupport@punkt.de

1. N
            In reply toneo243:
            @neo243
              2022-07-27 09:09:31.842Z

@michael @diego FYI: We tested it and the adapter doesn't work. But so far it works without external power over usb 3.0 Ports. THanks for the replies.

1. Diego @diego
                  2022-07-28 00:39:29.454Z

@neo243 - Thank you for the update. Let us know if you have further questions and/or comments, we'll be glad to answer them.