No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Cursor lag

By John Sikora @johnsikora
    2022-07-27 13:28:08.794Z

The cursor seems to lag about 5-10 secs behind the movement. Using remoteit to connect to Tinypilot. Also, just to add to the weirdness, on my laptop the cursor doesn't appear. On my desktop it appears but lags. Laptop is connected via wireless to the Internet. Desktop is connected via Ethernet. Current versions of both remoteit and Tinypilot are running.

• 3 replies
    1. Diego @diego
        2022-07-28 00:37:31.411Z

Hello @johnsikora - Thank you for posting your question in our Forum. I'm sorry you are having this issue.

• Have you tried using Tailscale instead? Performance is better with Tailscale over remote.it

• I'm not sure I understood... Which machine is the target computer, the laptop or the desktop? If your target computer is the laptop, then you might want to try a wired connection. Performance is always better using wired connection over wireless connection.

• Would it be possible for you to upload logs for me to review? This is how you would upload them: TinyPilot web interface > System > Logs > Get Shareable URL (copy the URL it will give you and paste it in your response).

1. J
          In reply tojohnsikora:
          John Sikora @johnsikora
            2022-07-28 13:11:43.914Z

Let me rephrase the request to make more sense.

I'm using a desktop and a laptop to access tinypilot using remote.it

When I access it via the desktop it works but there is a significant lag between cursor movement on the desktop and the tinypilot. When I was trying the same thing on the laptop, the cursor never appeared at all. I'm actually more concerned about the desktop since that is the environment that I use to control the remote site.

I wasn't sure what you meant by use Tailscale. That seems to require an agent on the Tinypilot, but I could have misinterpreted it.

Does that help?

1. Diego @diego
                2022-07-28 22:43:20.659Z

Hey @johnsikora - Thank you for the clarification. It does help me indeed to understand the scenario.

I made a mistake in my previous post when I asked:

Which machine is the target computer, the laptop or the desktop? If your target computer is the laptop, then you might want to try a wired connection. Performance is always better using wired connection over wireless connection.

The network connection of the target machine is irrelevant, that's my mistake. What I actually meant to ask is if the TinyPilot is connected via wire or wirelessly. Performance is known to be affected if the TinyPilot uses a WIFI connection. If at all possible, please use a wired connection for the TinyPilot Voyager 2 device.

The delays you are experiencing with remote.it are somewhat to be expected. This method of connecting to your TinyPilot via the internet is not the best of all in terms of performance and unfortunately, there's not much we can do about it. Some customers have reported remote.it works great for them while other customers have reported similar issues as yours. The performance you get by using remote.it depends entirely on remote.it networks, your location, the proxies they use, etc.

That's why I pointed you to Tailscale, which works quite better in most situations, and it is a bit more professional. Yes, it does require the installation of an agent, but setup is not that hard, and can be done in about 15 minutes. Let me know if you need further assistance with this, I'll be glad to help.