No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

keyboard lag

By Peter Cardona @petercardona
    2022-07-28 14:34:23.265Z

Hi - I'm so glad I bought a TinyPilot. I have a highly locked down corporate Windows laptop that I'm now able to integrate very nicely into my dual-monitor Mac world.

My only struggle is that keyboard input is pretty slow. Keystrokes buffer up and appear to be played into the device at about 2 keys/sec. After some number of keys (like maybe 15?) keys just get ignored. I have to refresh the browser window (cmd-R) and continue.

Is this expected rate... or?

Thanks for any advice.

Solved in post #4, click to view
    • 7 replies
    1. Diego @diego
        2022-07-28 22:27:51.993Z

Hello @petercardona - Thank you for posting your question in our Forum.

I'm sorry you are having this issue. To answer your question, no, that is not the expected rate.

• Would it be possible for you to upload logs for me to review? This is how you would upload them: TinyPilot web interface > System > Logs > Get Shareable URL (copy the URL it will give you and paste it in your response).
        • Is the TinyPilot using a wired or wireless connection? Performance is always better if you use a wired connection for this device. Also, are you connecting on same network, or through remote.it or Tailscale perhaps?
        • What browser are you using? Sometimes, there are extensions that interfere with the TinyPilot app behaviour. Can you disable all your extensions and give it a try?
        1. P
          In reply topetercardona:
          Peter Cardona @petercardona
            2022-07-29 00:54:42.479Z

Thanks for getting back to me. Pretty simple setup. This is a PoE TinyPliot with a wired (of course) connection. I run the browser from Safari on a MacBook also wired and on the same 8-port Gigabit PoE switch. No complaints re: video or mouse lag; it's just slow keyboard input. I don't actually use Safari for anything else; no extensions installed. I did cycle power (by removing the Ethernet cable) earlier today and the response is a bit better than it was.

Logs: https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/LYMnRaXJ

1. Diego @diego
                2022-08-02 20:16:29.561Z

Hey @petercardona - Apologies for the late response.

I don't see anything, in the logs you uploaded, that would point directly to the slow keyboard input you are experiencing. In fact, I would say this is probably video lagging, but you only notice it when typing in your keyboard.

• Have you tried enabling H264? And after that if your issue persists, you can try to do some tuning on H264 to further improve performance.

• In your logs, I see the following line:

Jul 28 23:22:14 attlaptop ustreamer[606]: -- ERROR [27872.283    stream] -- Persistent device timeout (unplugged)

That message usually indicates a problem with the HDMI cable. Although this is not related to the keyboard, since that goes over the USB cable, would it be possible for you to try a different HDMI cable?

ReplySolution
                1. PPeter Cardona @petercardona
                    2022-08-03 20:21:50.477Z

Hi-

Went to enable H264 via instructions and that resulted in a lot of:

E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/apt/extended_states (1)

and no reboot (last command).

Seems like these errors are from commands internal to /opt/tinypilot/quick-install.

2022-08-03 20:44:29.113Z

moved /var/lib/apt/extended_states out of the way; install now proceeding...

2022-08-03 23:30:42.795Z

yes, seems a lot better!

1. Diego @diego
                                2022-08-04 00:01:29.571Z

@petercardona - Thanks for the update! I'm glad it is working better for you. Let us know if you have further questions and/or comments, I'll be glad to answer them.