No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

How can I create multiple user for General Web access and different security roghts

By Stavros N @Stavros
    2022-08-01 02:51:51.069Z

From the basic start up screen I was able to access the web interface that the TinyPilot voyager2 was connected to. I would prefer to lock down the web interface by creating 1 additional login that (for the web interface) does not have the ability to change any security settings.

I know I can login to the SSH and create new users; but, how will I know the new user will automatically have access to the web interface and how can I limit the access of that 2nd user?

• 5 replies
    1. Thanks for the question!

Currently, it's not possible to give different users different access levels. That's something we're considering for the future, but there hasn't been much demand for it.

In the meantime, one of the ways I've other users have worked around this is by editing the HTML templates to remove menu items they didn't want other users to access. For example you could delete the menu item for Security in /opt/tinypilot/app/templates/custom-elements/menu-bar.html. It's not a robust way of preventing a user from exceeding their access, but if the goal is to just prevent honest users from touching things they shouldn't touch, it's a decent workaround. Note that when you update TinyPilot, any local modifications go away, so you'd need to reapply the steps on each update.

1. A
        In reply toStavros:
        a7673 @a7673
          2024-01-14 23:02:51.479Z2024-01-15 21:51:11.186Z

@michael or @cghague
          Is it possible to edit this file /opt/tinypilot/app/templates/custom-elements/menu-bar.html to remove access to "Restart", "Shutdown", "Logs", "Security" etc to only one of my user and retain them for admin(myself) user?
          If yes, can you please list the steps?

1. Hi a7673, thanks for your question.

TinyPilot doesn't currently have this level of role-based access control, so a determined user could likely bypass any changes you made. You can still make changes to the menu files if you wish, but it's not something we could support, and the changes would be lost each time you upgrade.

1. Aa7673 @a7673
                2024-01-21 03:28:11.568Z

Can you please develop this feature kindly?

1. Thank you for getting back to me! A few other users have expressed interest in something similar, so we're tracking this internally. We don't have a timeline yet, but we prioritize features based on user demand, so we'll definitely consider your request in our planning.