No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

MSI Bios is completely unusable

By Thomas @coreinsanity
    2022-08-09 16:57:34.747Z

When booting into the bios on an MSI X570-A PRO, the interface essentially becomes completely unusable.

I managed to get it into the advanced -> config mode using the keyboard, but then even that became unresponsive quickly. This is the first time using one of these, so I'm not sure what information might be helpful. It's doing HDMI -> HDMI, and of course the bios works fine when hooked up to a regular monitor. And booting to the OS (proxmox) it also seems to work fine.

EDIT So it's worth updating this to state that when I boot to the bios with a monitor hooked up, it works. When I boot to the bios using tinypilot and it does like the above screenshot, even swapping to a monitor the display is still exactly like that until I reset the machine.

• 7 replies
    1. Diego @diego
        2022-08-11 00:07:57.118Z

Hello @coreinsanity - Thank you for posting your question in our Forum.

I'm sorry you are having this issue. This is a strange problem, I'm not sure I have seen something like this before. I'll do my best to help you anyway.

• Are you running latest BIOS version on the MSI computer?

• Would it be possible for you to upload logs for me to review? This is how you would upload them: TinyPilot web interface > System > Logs > Get Shareable URL (copy the URL it will give you and paste it in your response). It would be great if you can get the logs when the issue occurs (i.e. when entering BIOS and the interface becomes unusable).

1. T
          In reply tocoreinsanity:
          @triii
            2022-09-15 21:15:25.611Z

Hi,

I am also experiencing the same issue on an MSI based am4 motherboard. any msi motherboard i use with am4 seems to produce it.

(I confirmed known good hdmi etc.. this issue seems to be resolution based. no text within the motherboard bios is shown.

1. David @david2022-09-23 11:25:23.857Z

Hi @triii, sorry to hear you're having issues with using the BIOS on your motherboard.

What model of board is it specifically? And can you tell me what version of the BIOS are you using?
              I have an MSI am4 motherboard, so I'll take a look to see if I run into the same issue.

1. T@triii
                  2022-09-24 01:16:57.146Z

Hi David,

It's no problem, i understand bugs happen.

It was using the a320m chipset. MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS AM4 Motherboard to be exact

The issue for me is the bios just appears blank, doesn't fill any text just has blank space

1. David @david2022-09-29 13:02:24.733Z

I've just done a few tests on my own MSI motherboard with TinyPilot.

Initially I had a very similar issue to you and @coreinsanity. But I managed to fix the issue by changing TinyPilot's EDID using that command from Michael's post.

Can you give that a try and see if it works for you too?

1. MMorris Altman @Morris
                        2023-02-04 18:45:50.858Z

I had the same issue and it wasted a lot of my time. I applied the ESDI settings per this FAQ:
                        https://tinypilotkvm.com/faq/change-edid

As this is a known issue and the workaround was posted well before the recent software release I have to wonder why this or a better fix was not implemented in the recent release

1. David @david2023-02-06 20:19:48.008Z

Hi @Morris, sorry that you ran into this issue and wasted time finding the fix.

This is a difficult fix because it's very device dependent - we can't test it on devices that match the hundreds of different devices our users have. So we're conservative about changes to TinyPilot's EDID in case it negatively effects our user's setups. We ultimately decided to have this EDID in our FAQ article for people to try, with the added bonus of being easily reversible if it caused any other issues. Luckily, so far we haven't had reports of any issues with the new EDID.

We've been keeping track of the EDID update internally, but your reply prompted me to add the issue and fix to our public repository, so it will be ready for a future release. The new EDID won't be a part of our 2.5.3 release, but it will likely be in the release following 2.5.3.