No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Another Keyboard Issue

By Roy Pitchford @rpitchford
    2022-09-15 14:05:07.025Z

I received my TinyPilot and was happy with the build and ease of connecting.
    I first tried it out on a laptop (Elitebook 850) and immediately encountered what is probably a lilitation outside of TinyPilot's control. When booting, there doesn't seem to be any video from the aux video port. Since the keyboard was not working either (mouse OK), I'm guessing that the keyboard issue may also be related to the laptop having a built-in keyboard. I may be wrong, but I am wondering if having separate USB connections for mouse and keyboard would help?

Next, I connected to a Dell PC and on that one, everything worked as expected.

So I guess I have a remote access solution for desktop computers, but I may still be SOL in regards to accessing laptops remotely.

• 1 replies
    1. David @david2022-09-16 14:35:17.128Z

Hi @rpitchford, I'm sorry that you're running into issues connecting to your laptop. TinyPilot is quite well supported on laptops, so I'd like to explore your issue and see if I can help get it working for you.

Do you get video after the laptop has booted? If it's just the BIOS splash screen that is missing you might be able to see it if you close your laptop's lid during boot. Some laptops only show the BIOS screen on external monitors when they're in docked mode. It's also common for laptops to show the BIOS splash screen only on the built-in display.

I'm guessing that the keyboard issue may also be related to the laptop having a built-in keyboard.

I don't think that would be an issue, TinyPilot acts as a USB keyboard so your laptop should see TinyPilot just like it would if you connected any other USB keyboard to it.

Can you share your TinyPilot logs when connected to your laptop? On the TinyPilot web interface navigate to System > Logs and then click Get Shareable URL. This will give you a link that you can paste in your response - and I can take a look and see if there's any info from the keyboard.