No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

copy and paste

By John Rocha @JohnR
    2022-09-22 21:30:54.134Z

Hello.

Is there any way that we can cut and paste, from one computer to another where the other the one under Tiny pilot

• 5 replies
    1. David @david2022-09-23 12:10:07.963Z

Hi @JohnR, you can paste text from your clipboard to the target computer with your TinyPilot. You can do this by going to Actions > Paste in the menu and then pressing ctrl+v (or cmd+v on Mac).

1. J
        In reply toJohnR:
        John Rocha @JohnR
          2022-09-23 13:34:51.152Z

Thank you. And the other way (from the computer behind the TinyPilot to the controlling computer?

1. David @david2022-09-23 14:59:47.142Z

No problem!

And the other way (from the computer behind the TinyPilot to the controlling computer?

Right now, it's not possible to copy from the target machine using TinyPilot. TinyPilot only supports pasting to your target machine.

2. Z
            In reply toJohnR:
            Santosh Krishnan @Zantosh
              2023-01-31 20:42:35.015Z

Ok so:

1. From my head computer, I can copy and paste text to my controlled computers (what's the right terminology to use!?)
              2. From my controlled computers, I can't copy and paste to my head computer
              3. I can't copy and paste image data from the head computer to the controlled computer

Any plans on implementing this, or any work around that you're aware of?

1. David @david2023-02-01 12:22:40.381Z

From my head computer, I can copy and paste text to my controlled computers

Exactly - you can copy text on your computer and paste it on the controlled computer.

From my controlled computers, I can't copy and paste to my head computer

Correct!

I can't copy and paste image data from the head computer to the controlled computer

Correct, TinyPilot only supports pasting text to your controlled computer.

Any plans on implementing this, or any work around that you're aware of?

Part of the problem here is that there are two separate clipboards used for copying and pasting in this scenario. One on your 'head computer', and the other on your 'controlled computer' and it's not possible to transfer the content between the clipboards via TinyPilot.

The only option for moving images / files from between computers is to transfer the files - using a cloud storage service, a USB drive, or a tool like scp for example.

(what's the right terminology to use!?)

We use the terms "target computer" or "target machine" to refer to the computer that you're controlling with TinyPilot. And we use "client computer" or "client machine" to refer to the device you use to interact with TinyPilot's web interface.

Hope that helps!