No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Ideas

Is Direct VGA to USB Capture Possible?

By Bill Denney @billdenney
    2022-10-02 00:16:51.073Z2022-10-03 16:37:23.856Z

I'm about to embark on my first TinyPilot installation. I have several systems that I'm wanting to manage, and I'm going the DIY route initially. As I was looking through the instructions for VGA capture, I see that the typical solution is a VGA to HDMI adapter and then an HDMI to USB video capture device.

Would it be possible to skip the intermediate step and go directly from VGA to USB with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Capture-Streaming-Teaching-Conference-Broadcasting/dp/B08GYXZC3D

It appears to use the CH7101 chip for the capture (based on the current third image in the Amazon listing). And the listing says that it supports both Linux and JPEG (which I would hope is mJPEG, but I'm not sure).

Does anyone have experience with TinyPilot trying this device or something similar?

Solved in post #3, click to view
    • 3 replies
    1. David @david2022-10-03 15:03:54.744Z

Hi @billdenney, thanks for the question!

Would it be possible to skip the intermediate step and go directly from VGA to USB with something like this? It appears to use the CH7101 chip for the capture.

Right now, TinyPilot only officially supports HDMI->USB devices using the MacroSilicon MS2109 chip or HDMI->CS2 devices using a tc358743 chip. Having said that, that device looks like it might work since any USB device that shows up in Linux as a UVC device should work - but we haven't tested that device (or any others using that chip) and can't guarantee that it will work.

Does anyone have experience with TinyPilot trying this device or something similar?

Not as far as I know. I haven't seen anyone attempt to build a TinyPilot using a VGA->USB device.

1. BBill Denney @billdenney
          2023-01-02 01:27:18.705Z

FYI, I tried the above device tonight, and it worked with no issues.

ReplySolution
          1. David @david2023-01-03 12:32:33.085Z

Thanks for the update, @billdenney! I'm glad you're up and running with direct VGA capture.