No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

New install of TinyPilot - USB failing

By Aaron @aggiepilot
    2022-10-02 01:23:06.899Z

Hello, I have searched around the forums but haven't encountered this issue. I bought the items from the do-it-yourself page (including the USB data/power splitter) as I already had a Pi model 4 b lying around. Once I had all the items I formatted the sd card with the latest raspberry pi os image, then ran the install command specified on the TinyPilot github. From there I have tried restarting a few services and poking around some to no avail. I have verified the USB cables are plugged into the correct ports and I have tried a different USB cable to the data port. I am trying to use this with an M1 Mac Mini. Here is a link to the logs: https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/QBoHPYTH Video seems to work fine, as when I VNC to the client I can see what I am doing on the tinypilot.

• 3 replies
    1. David @david2022-10-03 11:41:58.243Z

Hi @aggiepilot, sorry that you're running into issues with your TinyPilot.

I think the issues might be because of the OS that is installed. Your log suggests that the OS kernel version is 5.15. But TinyPilot currently only supports 5.10 which Raspberry Pi calls Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy).

On build your own TinyPilot devices the recommended OS is Raspberry Pi OS Lite (legacy). Can you re-flash your device and re-install the TinyPilot software by following those two sections of the guide and see if that fixes the issue?

1. AAaron @aggiepilot
          2022-10-03 23:29:55.219Z

I was hoping this was it, but after a reflash and re-install I end up in the same spot, here is a screenshot of some commands I was playing around with and an updated logs link.
          https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/v0qQv9hH

1. AAaron @aggiepilot
              2022-10-03 23:41:01.598Z

Actually, What I didn't try until now was just removing the USB power/data splitter and that has solved the issue. Maybe I just got a bad unit or something? Although maybe the M1 Mac Mini provides plenty of power over it's USB port as I am not currently seeing any undervoltage detections.