No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Keyboard Not Working

By @garrett
    2022-10-06 19:17:41.144Z

Hello,

I am attempting to use tinypilot through an azure virtual desktop (AVD) connection, but the keyboard is not passing through to the tinypilot browser page. In my AVD setup the virtual machine that is serving the bowser that I am using, is connected to my on-premise network via a VPN tunnel. I am able to reach the tinypilot browser page through AVD, and the mouse and virtual keyboard work, but anything I type on the keyboard is not received by the tinypilot -- I just see letters and commands that I type being displayed at the bottom of the webpage.

Is there anything server/vm side that would be preventing the pass thru of my keyboard to the tinypilot via the browser? I do not experience this issue when I am on prem; just when connecting via the azure virtual desktop. Any help you could provide on this matter would be much appreciated.

Solved in post #5, click to view
    • 5 replies
    1. G
      @garrett
        2022-10-06 20:37:47.868Z

Seems like I was able to resolve this issue by changing the RDP properties of my host pool in AVD. The fix was allowing USB device redirection. Here is the exact setting - "Redirect all USB devices that are not already redirected by another high-level redirection"

1. David @david2022-10-07 11:01:59.949Z

Hi @garrett, thanks for giving us an update and a solution! That should come in handy if someone else has similar issues with AVD.

1. G@garrett
              2022-10-08 05:26:22.281Z

Hey @david

Looks like I spoke too soon. The keyboard is still not passing through and in the logs I see "Unrecognized key: d (keycode=)". The "d" is simply one of the keys I hit. Have you seen this type of behavior before?

2. Progress
            with handling this problem
          3. G
            @garrett
              2022-10-09 17:47:51.641Z

Ok, now I believe I've figured it out. In the AVD settings, you must Enable Input Method Editor. I don't know why this is the case, but it is the secret to making the keyboard function through the Azure Virtual Desktop RD gateway. Here is the detail of the "Enable Input Method Editor" - "Use an input method editor to enter complex characters. You must have an Input Method Editor enabled in your remote session. Standard keyboard input may not work as expected"

ReplySolution
              1. David @david2022-10-10 11:12:20.551Zreplies togarrett:

Thanks again @garrett! Apologies for not being able to get back to you soon enough because of the weekend, but I'm glad you managed to fix your other keyboard passthrough issue.