No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Traveling with Tiny Pilot, will this work?

By Tim @TimI
    2022-10-30 16:21:38.937Z

Hello,

After setting up Tinypilot and Tailscale, would I be able to travel and connect it to any router and it work without any additional setup? Would it be accessible right away?

If so, if I bought a wifi to ethernet adapter, could use that to connect the tinypilot to any wireless network with it working? Like for example a hotel network or another free wifi network?

• 4 replies
    1. T
      Tim @TimI
        2022-10-30 17:59:09.067Z

Also what’s the minimum required down/up speed? I have 300+ both. Some of the people connecting have only 20 mbps, and the lag is 10+ seconds, even on minimal video quality settings.

What’s the minimum required speed for both provider and the client connecting?

1. C
          In reply toTimI:

Hi Tim - thanks for your questions about using TinyPilot with Tailscale!

After setting up Tinypilot and Tailscale, would I be able to travel and connect it to any router and it work without any additional setup? Would it be accessible right away?

Tailscale creates a virtual private network between your devices so as long as Tailscale is able to form a connection then you would be able to access your TinyPilot device.

If so, if I bought a wifi to ethernet adapter, could use that to connect the tinypilot to any wireless network with it working? Like for example a hotel network or another free wifi network?

This would depend on the network as some actively block other routers and VPNs or may require you to register each device using a web browser. However, if Tailscale can establish a connection then you should be able to access your TinyPilot device.

Also what’s the minimum required down/up speed? I have 300+ both. Some of the people connecting have only 20 mbps, and the lag is 10+ seconds, even on minimal video quality settings. What’s the minimum required speed for both provider and the client connecting?

The minimum bandwidth required depends on your settings. It's possible to tune your video settings to require as little as a few megabits per second. A lag of 10+ seconds with minimal video settings is unusual and might point towards a different problem.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions!

1. TTim @TimI
              2022-11-08 23:47:13.550Z

I upgraded to new video format and lowered the settings significantly. Seems to be working better now.

1. Thanks for getting back to me and confirming! I'm pleased to hear that it's working better now.