No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Cabling the "Data" line?

By Graham Christensen @grahamc
    2022-11-16 15:20:54.699Z

Hey folks,

I'd like to verify that conceptually a wiring plan I'm scheming will work before I spend the money.

I'd like to run:

TinyPilot USB-C's Data line -> a USB-C-to-USB-C cable -> a USB-C-to-USB-C keystone jack -> a USB-C-to-USB-A cable -> a Mac Mini's USB-A port.

In this scenario I'd be using all my own cables, and discarding the USB-A-to-USB-C cable.

Is this a supported configuration, or known to not work correctly?

Best,
    Graham

• 2 replies
    1. C

Hi Graham, thanks for the great question!

I can confirm that using a USB-C to USB-C cable is supported and that using a USB-C to USB-A cable to connect to a Mac Mini also works. I'm not aware of any examples of a keystone jack being used in the chain but as it's a passive connection it should work in theory. It's worth noting that each physical connection introduces another potential point of failure. It's also worth being mindful that passive USB connections tend to only be stable on cables up to a few meters long with anything longer requiring active equipment (e.g. a hub).

1. GGraham Christensen @grahamc
          2022-11-16 19:24:13.073Z

Thanks, Charles! This is so we can rack up the macs in a deep shelf and still have easy HDMI/USB access for the tinypilot. It won't be more than a couple feet. Thank you again!