No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Keyboard and mouse don't work anymore

By @Keagel
    2022-12-11 10:41:58.359Z

Hello,

I've purchased the Voyager 2 a few months ago (July) and it's been working fine the few times I've had to use it, but recently I've noticed that my keyboard and mouse don't work anymore. I've checked the logs and I get the standard "Is USB cable connected?" error, even though I've tried multiple USB ports and the USB cable is properly connected to the data port. I've already tried restarting the device multiple times too.

Here is a link to the logs: https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/w4mwQ23s

Relevant bit of information: I've since updated my system from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04.

Output of lsusb on the host:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1058:25a3 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. Elements Desktop (WDBWLG)
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Seems my issue is pretty similar to this one: No Mouse/KB

Any ideas for a fix?

Thanks!

Solved in post #5, click to view
    • 5 replies
    1. David @david2022-12-12 13:08:15.771Z

Hi @keagel, sorry that you're running into this USB issue.

Thanks for sharing those logs - you're correct in that they're really only showing the "Is USB cable connected?" message. So they're telling us little about the root cause.

I ran lsusb on my test machine (running Pop!_OS 22.04), and my TinyPilot appears as follows:

Bus XXX Device XXX: ID XXXX:XXXX Linux Foundation Multifunction Composite Gadget

I saw that you tried different USB ports on the target machine, but have you tried using a different USB-C cable? I'm wondering whether the cable is damaged or broken considering your TinyPilot isn't showing up when you run lsusb.

1. K@Keagel
          2022-12-13 09:48:26.030Z

Hi! I just tried with a different USB cable.

Here is the new output of lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1058:25a3 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. Elements Desktop (WDBWLG)
          Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
          Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1d6b:0104 Linux Foundation Multifunction Composite Gadget
          Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

A new error also popped up on my machine:

usb 1-12: device descriptor read/64, error -71

This page suggests a modprobe change, though it seems the option is already enabled on my system:

~ cat /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/use_both_schemes
          Y

I'm not sure it's related to the problem as the TinyPilot is recognized as seen with lsusb, but that error pops up on my machine every time I reboot the TinyPilot. The logs still show the same error and neither the mouse nor the keyboard work.

1. David @david2022-12-13 13:10:35.470Z

Thanks for the update!

From some quick research, error -71 (-EPROTO) seems to indicate a bad device or a bad cable.

USB-C cables are awkward because manufacturers can optionally exclude features and still comply with the USB-C spec. So there's a chance that the new cable doesn't completely work as expected. However, your TinyPilot is now visible when you run lsusb, which makes it a little difficult to pinpoint whether that's the issue.

Is your TinyPilot a PoE model? If it is, can you try powering your TinyPilot using the USB-C port (labeled 'POWER') instead? I'd like to rule out any potential power issues - just in case.

And do you have a different target machine that you could connect your TinyPilot to? To narrow things down, it would be great to confirm that the TinyPilot is the culprit instead of your Ubuntu machine.

1. K@Keagel
                2023-01-22 15:29:49.804Z

Sorry, I was convinced I had come back for an update. The issue was indeed with the cable. Not sure what happened between my first reply and when it was fixed but somehow it's been working fine for a while now. Thanks for the help!

ReplySolution
                1. David @david2023-01-23 12:02:30.165Z

No problem at all! Thanks for the update @Keagel, I'm glad we found the issue and managed to solve it.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or issues in the future!