No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

TinyPilot Voyager 2 PoE problems with Ubiquiti UniFi Switch Lite 8 PoE

By Sandip Bhattacharya @sandipb
    2023-01-03 06:47:40.020Z

I bought the TinyPilot Voyager 2 PoE last month, and it works fine with the USB power supply.

I just bought the Ubiquiti UniFi Switch Lite 8 PoE which is supposed to provide 802.3at power ports.

Connected over a PoE cat8 wire from the switch, while initially after boot Tinypilot seems to be working, it soon starts showing lags or even completely being unresponsive within minutes. A ping to the device times out severely over time as well. Restarts would fix the problems again in the initial minutes and the device would start misbehaving again shortly.

As soon as I switched back to the USB power supply, these problems went away.

Does the Tinypilot work with 802.3at power ports? Are there any compatibility issues with this switch? Please let me know so that I can return the Ubiquity and get a lower powered or more compatible switch.

Thanks,
    Sandip

Solved in post #6, click to view
    • 6 replies
    1. P
      Paul DiMaggio @pldmgg
        2023-01-03 12:37:38.020Z

Just wanted to chime in - I just had a similar experience with the Unifi Switch Lite 8 PoE and TinyPilot...But I had a separate Unifi Lite 8 PoE switch providing power/data to security cameras, and the cameras kept rebooting randomly. So I used different PoE switches for both TinyPilot and security cameras and things have been stable ever since.

So try a different PoE switch if you have one.

1. In reply tosandipb:
          David @david2023-01-04 12:44:39.760Z

Hi Sandip, sorry that you're running into PoE issues with your switch.

Does the Tinypilot work with 802.3at power ports?

Yes, the PoE version of TinyPilot Voyager 2 supports 802.3at power ports.

Would you be able to share a log from your TinyPilot when it's unresponsive? The logs may show whether there are any power issues. On your TinyPilot's web interface, navigate to System > Logs and click Get Shareable URL. Then paste the link in your reply.

@pldmgg's comment is interesting - if you have access to a different PoE switch, I'd recommend trying that too.

1. S
            In reply tosandipb:
            Sandip Bhattacharya @sandipb
              2023-01-11 08:31:43.883Z

It seems like with the new tplink poe switch, tinypilot had no problems!

Cheers!

ReplySolution
              1. David @david2023-01-11 12:18:13.225Z

Awesome! Thanks for the update @sandipb.

Please reach out if you have any other issues or questions.

2. Progress
                with handling this problem
              3. S
                Sandip Bhattacharya @sandipb
                  2023-01-05 19:23:59.489Z

I decided to return the unifi switch and have ordered a tplink one. Let me see how that goes

1. David @david2023-01-06 13:17:36.270Zreplies tosandipb:

Thanks for the update! I personally use a TPLink PoE switch with my TinyPilot and it works perfectly. Let me know how it goes.