No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Tiny Pilot Access from mobile device

By Travis Omasta @Rianer
    2023-01-24 14:13:01.451Z

Hello,

I was able to get my tinypilot Voyager 2 v2 set up, and calibrated the remote access using the tailscale client. Great functionality and when accessing from my PC I have no complaints! I have not tested off site, but I was able to connect from my phone with wifi off, and on my laptop PC going through my phone as a mobile hot spot.

My challenge is the functionality when using the web browser accessing from mobile (iPhone 14pro). It seems that both chrome safari are not registering a touchscreen tap as a mouse click.

I was able to use google remote desktop to remote into my laptop PC, which is then connected to the tiny pilot, but this is cumbersome and not sustainable.

I was curious if anyone else had a solution to the "mouse click" problem on the mobile device, or if there is a different remote access program/host that can be installed into the tiny pilot and use an app rather than a browser.

Thanks!
    Rianer

• 1 replies
    1. David @david2023-01-24 15:51:25.689Z

Hi Rianer! Sorry that you're running into issues using your phone as a client machine.

Using the TinyPilot web interface from a touchscreen is a relatively atypical use case. In fact, I had to use my browser's touch-simulation mode to check its behviour - you're correct, touches move the mouse on the display but don't click.

We have an open GitHub issue to add touch support, and at one point, someone created a pull request to implement the functionality, but they stopped making updates. I've added a comment to the GitHub issue pointing to this thread to note your feature request / use case - if you'd like, you're more than welcome to subscribe to the GitHub issue for updates.

Adding touch screen support isn't part of our short-term roadmap yet, but we’re always working to improve TinyPilot’s software and hardware. We prioritize features based on user demand, so we’ll definitely consider your feedback in our planning.

is [there] a different remote access program/host that can be installed into the tiny pilot and use an app rather than a browser.

The TinyPilot software is only a web-based interface, so I don't think there are any alternatives that would work here beyond the remote desktop that you mentioned.

Hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.