No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Tiny Pilot to Raritan KVM

By Chris Verdi @Cverdi
    2023-01-31 19:55:30.926Z

I just purchased a TinyPilot Voyager 2 in hopes of using it with our Raritan Dominion KXII.. I had no issue setting the unit up. I did purchase the VGA to HDMI adapter and plugged that into the Raritan KVM. I can see the main menu and the keyboard and mouse work just fine.. When I select a machine and connect, the keyboard functions normally but I lose the mouse. If I back out of the machine and go back to the Raritan KVM menu the mouse returns.. I'm hoping someone has seen this before and can offer some help.

Thanks

• 5 replies
    1. David @david2023-02-01 12:50:34.293Z

Hi @cverdi, sorry that you're running into issues using your TinyPilot with your KVM.

The Raritan isn't on our community-sourced KVM compatibility wiki, so I haven't seen this specific situation before.

I took a look at the KVM's user guide, am I right in thinking your TinyPilot connects to the 'local user' USB ports on the KVM?

Could you share a log from your TinyPilot when you lose control of the mouse? On your TinyPilot's web interface, navigate to System > Logs and click Get Shareable URL.

1. CChris Verdi @Cverdi
          2023-02-01 15:04:25.558Z

Thanks David
          Yes it is connected to the local user USB ports.. The link to the logs is https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/0IdXmxa9

Thanks for taking a look

Chris

1. David @david2023-02-01 18:27:28.231Z

Thanks for confirming! And for sharing those logs.

Some KVMs only work with separate connections to a mouse and keyboard. i.e. a mouse connection to one USB port, and a keyboard connection to another USB port on the KVM. TinyPilot acts as a USB hub which may be causing issues for the KVM - but that doesn't completely explain why TinyPilot's mouse works in the KVM menu and not when connected to a machine.

Is the behavior you're seeing consistent across different target machines? If not, it might be something to do with the connected machine. Otherwise it may be an issue with how the KVM forwards the mouse and keyboard to the connected machine.

Do you know if there's another USB hub somewhere else in the chain of devices (between the Raritan KVM and the target machines)?

1. CChris Verdi @Cverdi
                2023-02-02 14:32:43.360Z

HI David
                Yes, it is consistent across all 24 machines. I have Keyboard on all machines but no mouse. There are no USB hubs in use. The only other thing of note that I have discovered is that is you left click the mouse while in a machine it brings up the left click dialog, but I can't click on anything.

Thanks

1. David @david2023-02-02 17:17:12.982Z

The only other thing of note that I have discovered is that is you left click the mouse while in a machine it brings up the left click dialog, but I can't click on anything.

Interesting! So you can click - but you don't have a cursor that you can control?

It sounds like it could be an issue with how TinyPilot presents itself as a mouse. TinyPilot acts as an abolute-positioned mouse (like a touchpad), rather than a relative-positioned mouse.

The only thing I can think of is right now is to try connecting your TinyPilot to the other 2 available USB ports on the KVM to see if there's a functional difference between the ports.