No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Remote monitor keep disappearing

By @sidereel
    2023-02-07 18:45:14.510Z

I recently bought TinyPilot , Initially I had issues with Latency but ever since i switched to H.264 the latency issue is no more
    but now I have new issue where monitor keep disappearing after few seconds I can still see the keyboard . I am using chrome as a browser and Macbook air M2 to remote into my PC.
    I tried changing the Video setting thinking it might have to do with resolution but its not working either. any help will be much appreciated .

• 11 replies
    1. David @david2023-02-08 12:08:49.147Z

Hi @sidereel, sorry that you're running into this display issue.

Do you only have this issue when you use H.264? From your description, it sounds like you might be encountering this issue that appears on H.264 mode. Does the video on that page reflect your issue? If it is the same issue, there's an upcoming fix for it in the next TinyPilot software update.

If it's not the same issue, could you share a log from your TinyPilot for me to review? On your TinyPilot's web interface, navigate to System > Logs and click Get Shareable URL. You can then paste the link in your reply.

1. S@sidereel
          2023-02-08 17:17:09.190Z

I will share the logs, I have noticed that the streaming mode change back on forth between H.264 and Mpeg . When the steaming mode switch to Mpeg ( which is only for few seconds ) i lose the monitor and as soon as the H.264 become the streaming mode I get the monitor screen back.

1. In reply todavid:
            S@sidereel
              2023-02-08 17:23:44.099Z
              1. In reply todavid:
                S@sidereel
                  2023-02-08 19:06:54.692Z

The Issue you mentioned in the reply is exactly what i am facing

1. David @david2023-02-09 12:25:03.806Z

Thanks for confirming that! A fix for that issue will be in our next software update which is coming soon - so I'd encourage you to update your software once we release it.

If you continue to have the same issue after the update, you can reply in this thread and I'll be happy to help diagnose it further.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or issues.

1. S@sidereel
                        2023-05-30 14:43:34.848Z

I updated to the newer version as you suggested but the issue is still present. As i mentioned above the streaming mode don't stay static to H.264 it switch itself to Mpeg and when that happen i lose my remote desktop for few seconds .

1. David @david2023-05-31 07:02:24.567Z

Hi @sidereel, I'm sorry that you're still running into this issue. Are you still seeing the same symptoms? i.e. are you seeing the streaming mode switch back and forth between H.264 and MJPEG, or does it stay on MJPEG?

When your TinyPilot switches over to MJPEG, are you seeing the yellow warning triangle on the bottom left of your TinyPilot's web interface (like in this image)?

Can you share a new copy of your logs? On your TinyPilot's web interface, navigate to System > Logs and click Get Shareable URL.

1. S@sidereel
                              2023-06-05 14:59:04.586Z

Hi David,
                              Please see my response :
                              David:
                              Are you still seeing the same symptoms? i.e. are you seeing the streaming mode switch back and forth between H.264 and MJPEG, or does it stay on MJPEG?
                              Sidereel : Yes it keep switch back and forth betweenH.264 and MJPEG
                              David :
                              When your TinyPilot switches over to MJPEG, are you seeing the yellow warning triangle on the bottom left of your TinyPilot's web interface?
                              Sidereel: Yes i see the yellow triangle
                              https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/qWYIrPeD

1. David @david2023-06-06 12:24:38.913Z

Thanks for confirming those details and for sharing those logs. Are you accessing your TinyPilot remotely using Tailscale?

And do you experience this issue if you access your TinyPilot locally?

1. S@sidereel
                                    2023-06-06 14:40:52.337Z

I run into this issue when i use it remotely using tailscale , on local network i don't see any lag.

1. David @david2023-06-07 01:23:38.755Z

Thanks for confirming that! If H.264 is working periodically over Tailscale, this sounds like it could be a network consistency issue.

Can you ping your remote TinyPilot from your client machine and check for latency and packet loss?

# Change to your TinyPilot's Tailscale IP if it changed
                                      ping 100.66.190.81

Most ping implementations output statistics once you quit the program, can you share the stats with me?

--- 1.1.1.1 ping statistics ---
                                      5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4018ms
                                      rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 8.694/9.003/9.366/0.288 ms