No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

stability of sd card?

By Les Fairall @lesf
    2023-02-11 13:59:18.311Z

Just found the TinyPilot. Looks like just what I am searching for. I do have one concern, the long term stability of using an SD card for the OS.

I say this because about 8 years ago I put a Pi (running Raspian) in use to do some snmp samples. It ran fine for a few months and then the sd card became corrupt. I replaced the card with "best" i could find at the time. It too failed in a few months.

I had tweaked things to not write to the card as much as possible, it was mainly doing network operations. However, that experience put me off using a Pi for anything other than playing at home. Ended up using a NUC or equivalent running on an SSD.

So that is still in back of my mind.

Have things gotten more stable over time with newer software / newer SD cards?

Thanks!
    Les F

• 1 replies
    1. C

Hi Les, thanks for your great question about stability and filesystem corruption.

There have been a number of changes over recent years to both the Raspberry Pi hardware and software which we use as a base, including switching from SD cards to microSD cards. This has resulted in improved stability and reduced the likelihood of filesystem corruption occurring.

However, filesystem corruption is still something that can happen and so, if you wish, you can enable the read-only filesystem. It's also possible to boot your TinyPilot device from USB if you'd prefer to use a different type of storage device.