No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Not getting screen image

By sjoe @sjalal
    2023-02-11 18:37:31.033Z2023-02-11 21:17:53.467Z

Hi
    I am not getting screen image on my client laptop. It seems all keyboard commands are being responded to ok by the server laptop but I am not seeing the screen on my client laptop. I have changed it with a working tinypilot and everything seems to point to this tinypilot device. (also changed HDMI cable and data cable with no improvement)

https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/I0kIKerf

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    SJ

Solved in post #5, click to view
    • 4 replies
    1. C

Hi sjoe, thanks for reaching out to us. I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with one of your TinyPilot devices.

I've looked through the logs and it appears that one of the services is failing to start. It's likely that this is a software issue rather than a hardware fault but it'd be good to confirm that.

As you have two devices the simplest approach to test this would be to shut down both of your TinyPilot devices (by going to System, then Power), swap the microSD cards between them and then power them back on. If the problem moves to the other TinyPilot device then it is a software issue.

If it does turn out to be a software issue the quickest way to resolve it is likely to be a factory reset. You could alternatively try a reinstallation on the affected TinyPilot by connecting over SSH and running the following commands:

if [[ -f /opt/tinypilot-updater/install ]]; then
        (sudo apt remove -y tinypilot || true) && \
          cd /opt/tinypilot-updater && \
          sudo ./install
      else
        /opt/tinypilot/quick-install
      fi

1. S
        In reply tosjalal:
        sjoe @sjalal
          2023-02-12 22:22:19.109Z2023-02-13 01:49:51.729Z

Hi
          I did the reset as suggested but same situation is presisting.
          The link is copied below for new logs (after running the install and tying to connect):
          https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/TBy9TLYN

Also I switched the Tinypilot devices between working and non working setup (including the hdmi and data cables) and it appears that the working tinypilot does not work for one server in question.
          Sometimes I get non-working server desktop correctly on my client and mouse moves correctly on the server (When I move it on client machine) ct-alt-delete also have desired effect on server however I do not see the server desktop icons or running applications on the client. Either the client shows black screen or it shows desktop only with no icons or applications

The same tinypliot was working with this server until few weeks ago.

Any idea what has happened ? I tried playing with video settings also. Same result. This is the desktop image I am getting on client. It is not showing desktop icons and any running applications. Clicking on any icon in the taskbar results in random activity on the server

Note:
          I have installed tailscale on the tinypilot for remote access. (DNS resolution is ok)

I tested the same server HDMI port (used by tinypilot HDMI) with an external monitor and it works immediately.

Thanks in advance for your help

SJ

1. C
            In reply tosjalal:

Thank you for providing the logs and screenshot. It sounds like the connected server might be configured to use an extended desktop. This means that the secondary desktop (i.e. the one shown on your TinyPilot device) won’t show any desktop icons as they’re on the primary desktop. It also means that when you click an icon on the taskbar using the TinyPilot web interface the input actually occurs on the primary desktop which can result in unexpected behaviour. Can you please adjust the display settings on your connected server to use mirrored displays instead of extended?

1. S
              In reply tosjalal:
              sjoe @sjalal
                2023-02-13 15:07:43.949Z

Hey @cghague
                I modified the server display setting to duplicate and it started to work. Thanks your help is much appreciated

Regards
                SJ

ReplySolution