No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

TinyPilot audio upgrade path?

By NightLink42 @NightLonk42
    2023-02-12 17:21:21.796Z

Hello.
    I currently have the TinyPilot Voyager 2 and would love to be able to stream audio using the latest 2.5.3 update. Is there any upgrade path to do so without having to buy a whole new unit, even unofficial? I'd much rather buy a $100 part than spend $480 for one feature =\

• 6 replies
    1. C

Hi NightLink42, thanks for reaching out with your question about audio support.

We'd be happy to arrange for you to trade-in your existing TinyPilot Voyager 2, assuming you purchased it within the United States, for credit towards a new TinyPilot Voyager 2a. Let me know if you're interested in this, and I'll arrange for our customer service team to reach out to you!

1. NNightLink42 @NightLonk42
          2023-02-13 19:08:07.838Z

Hey! Thanks for the quick reply :)

Instead of sending it in am I able to just replace the (for example) capture board myself from third party parts, or is it a custom board made by tinypilot? Just curious

1. Depending on which version of the Voyager 2 you have, you could swap the part yourself.

The two missing pieces in the Voyager 2 are the HDMI chip and the connection between the HDMI chip and the Pi's GPIO pins.

We shipped most Voyager 2s with the C779 chip, which didn't support audio. Voyager 2s shipped after around November 2022 had the C790 chip. The model number is printed on the chip. If you already have the C790, then you don't need a new HDMI capture chip.

The other missing piece is the connection between the HDMI chip and the Pi's GPIO pins. For a lot of the Voyager 2s, it's hard to connect the two because the HAT blocks access to the GPIO pins. Later versions of the USB-C only Voyager 2 had a smaller HAT that leaves access open to the GPIO pins, so if you have one of those, you just need the GPIO connector for the C790. If you have a HAT that blocks the GPIO pins, it's hard to connect, and you'd need to send it in for upgrade so we can install the GPIO custom breakout board to give access to the audio pins.

2. In reply tocghague:
            NNightLink42 @NightLonk42
              2023-02-13 21:47:13.071Z

I am interested in upgrading. I'll email support! Thank you

1. In reply tocghague:
                L@LimitUndefind
                  2023-02-15 06:13:44.177Z

Hi Charles, I have 2 TinyPilots - I would be interested in this. Would you mind having the Customer Service team reach out? Thanks!

1. Hi @LimitUndefind, thanks for your message! I’m pleased to confirm that I’ve passed this to our customer service team who will reach out to you by e-mail soon.