No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

NetGear Router Blocks TinyPilot H.264 Traffic over Internet WAN

By Aaron @AaronP
    2023-02-14 06:05:04.688Z

Hi All. After troubleshooting using TinyPilot over an internet connection, I was only getting an MJPEG feed, and it was impossible to get H.264 video unless i was connected to my office's on-site LAN or connected via company VPN. I discovered that the problem was a router setting on my home's NetGear Router: I changed the default Router settings for "NAT Filtering" from "Secured" to "Open", now I can get H.264 video from my office's TinyPilot to my home laptop directly via a public IP address.

• 1 replies
    1. C

Hi Aaron, thanks for sharing your solution with us! TinyPilot uses the relatively new WebRTC protocol to send H.264 video over the network, whereas MJPEG is sent using more established protocols. This means that everything between your TinyPilot device and your browser needs to support and allow WebRTC connections for H.264 video to work. This is usually the case but, as you’ve noticed, there are unfortunately some exceptions. WebRTC is being used by an increasing number of services though (e.g. video conferencing tools) so support is likely to become widespread going forwards.