No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

New TinyPilot, question about upgrading

By Jobey Smith @jobey
    2023-02-14 23:38:55.925Z2023-02-14 23:49:39.084Z

I just recieved my new TinyPilot yesterday. I (of course) checked to see if there were any updates needed and it says there is an update to the latest version, but in order to take full advantage of the new features I would need to do a factory reset? Is that correct that has to be done, even on a brand new unit?

Solved in post #7, click to view
    • 6 replies
    1. C
      Charles Hague @cghague2023-02-15 11:01:12.771Z2023-02-15 14:10:47.919Z

Hi Jobey, thanks for your great question about upgrading. We updated our base operating system image in TinyPilot Pro 2.5.3 to take advantage of various feature and security improvements. Due to the differences between the old and new versions, the only way to upgrade the base operating system is to re-image the microSD card by performing a factory reset. TinyPilot Pro 2.5.3 was released on 2023-02-09 so this will be true even on very recently purchased devices. I appreciate it’s a hassle but, fortunately, it should only be required once and subsequent updates will be installable via your TinyPilot device’s web interface.

1. I’ve updated my previous post as it wasn’t clear, please accept my apologies for any confusion!

A factory reset is only needed when upgrading the base operating system from the old version, known as Buster, to the new version, known as Bullseye. TinyPilot Pro 2.5.3 supports both Buster and Bullseye. This means that you can upgrade your TinyPilot device to TinyPilot Pro 2.5.3 without needing to perform a factory reset.

Audio capture on the TinyPilot Voyager 2a requires Bullseye however, which means if you have a TinyPilot Voyager 2a and want to enable audio support you’ll still need to upgrade the base operating system image by performing a factory reset.

We are planning on discontinuing support for Buster eventually, but will provide more detailed instructions and support on how to upgrade to Bullseye when that happens.

1. JJobey Smith @jobey
            2023-02-15 15:57:02.886Z

Hi Charles,

The version that TinyPilot came with this week was 2.5.2, which is Buster, right? So for me to take full advantage on this unit I just received that didn't come with 2.5.3 (must've missed it by just a couple of days before it was shipped), I will have to factory reset?

1. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. You are indeed correct that your TinyPilot device shipped before we switched the base image to Bullseye. I’m not sure which device you purchased so I’ve summarised all of the possibilities below:

• If you purchased a TinyPilot Voyager 2, then there is no need for a factory reset. You can update normally.
              • If you purchased a TinyPilot Voyager 2a, and do not need sound support, then there is no need for a factory reset. You can update normally.
              • If you purchased a TinyPilot Voyager 2a, and want to enable sound support, then a factory reset will be required.
              1. JJobey Smith @jobey
                  2023-02-15 16:53:35.032Z

I purchased the 2a, but the hdmi sound option isn't even active yet in the software, correct? If I don't factory reset but I did update to 2.5.3 so long as I don't care about the audio part I will continue to receive Bullseye updates in the future without any issue, right? Version 2.5.3 is Bullseye, not Buster (or is there a 2.5.3 Buster as well)?

• C
            In reply tojobey:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I can confirm that TinyPilot Pro 2.5.3 is available for both Buster and Bullseye. The TinyPilot image available from our download page contains TinyPilot Pro 2.5.3 on Bullseye, whereas if you perform a standard upgrade on an existing TinyPilot Pro installation then the base operating system will remain on Buster. TinyPilot Pro 2.5.3 adds audio streaming support on the TinyPilot Voyager 2a, but only if the base operating system is Bullseye.

ReplySolution