No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Majority of keyboard keys don't work for a while

By @tgreaves12345
    2023-02-16 12:20:54.855Z

I'm running the current version of TinyPilot on a Rpi4 with 32-bit pi os.. When I go to the kvm site, hardly any of the keyboard keys work.. Backspace, *, and / work fine but nothing else.. ctrl-alt-del also works..

Here is the strange part, if I let it sit for a while (hour or more usually) and try it, everything works great.. Any ideas here? Let me know what logs you need..

• 8 replies
    1. C

Hi @tgreaves12345, thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear you're having keyboard issues.

I don't think we've encountered this before so we'll need to investigate in more detail. It's unlikely to be a hardware issue given some keys work so I suspect this may be the connected computer dropping the keystrokes for some reason.

Would you be able to try and see if the same issue happens when using the connected computer BIOS and, if possible, with a different computer altogether? This would help us to rule out a configuration issue on the connected computer.

1. T@tgreaves12345
          2023-02-16 17:26:19.721Z

I can try a different computer.. The one I am testing with now is an Intel Compute Stick..

1. In reply tocghague:
            T@tgreaves12345
              2023-02-16 19:50:52.527Z

I tried a different machine and had the same result.. Im going to try a different usb-c cable and see if that helps..

1. In reply tocghague:
                T@tgreaves12345
                  2023-02-16 20:44:38.035Z

I did notice that I am able to interact with the bios perfectly, include using the mouse.. Once it get into the OS, nothing.. The Intel Compute Stick is running Linux Mint if that helps..

1. In reply tocghague:
                    T@tgreaves12345
                      2023-02-16 20:55:29.144Z

Also, not sure if this helps but, I keep seeing these in the syslog

Feb 16 15:54:15 mintstick systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Succeeded.
                      Feb 16 15:54:15 mintstick systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 8.
                      Feb 16 15:54:15 mintstick systemd[1]: Stopped Getty on tty1.
                      Feb 16 15:54:15 mintstick systemd[1]: Started Getty on tty1.
                      Feb 16 15:54:43 mintstick systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Succeeded.
                      Feb 16 15:54:43 mintstick systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 9.
                      Feb 16 15:54:43 mintstick systemd[1]: Stopped Getty on tty1.
                      Feb 16 15:54:43 mintstick systemd[1]: Started Getty on tty1.

• C
                      In reply totgreaves12345:

Thanks for the detailed responses! It’s good that the BIOS responds as expected as this suggests that TinyPilot, and the hardware it’s running on, is working correctly. It seems that the target computer’s operating system must be dropping some of the input for an unknown reason. I searched on the Linux Mint forums and it seems a few people have had similar problems with input being intermittently ignored, so it might be worth checking if any of the reported issues match your hardware and/or software configuration. I’d also suggest checking if the issue happens when Linux Mint is booted into text mode to determine if a desktop app or service is interfering with keyboard input.

1. T@tgreaves12345
                          2023-02-17 12:00:59.061Z

I installed Ubuntu, which Mint is based on and it does the same thing.. I also noticed that if it boots into graphical, it works perfect.. Seems to only be a problem when booting into the console.. I also tried PiKVM and it does the exact same thing as TinyPilot does.. Anything else you want me to check?

1. In reply tocghague:
                            T@tgreaves12345
                              2023-02-17 12:36:51.338Z

The plot thickens.. I unplugged TinyPilot from the ubuntu stick and plugged a standard keyboard back in to it and, it does the same thing as when using the kvm.. I rebooted the stick and still the same thing..
                              I didnt turn on ssh so I cant check anything but, ill reinstall ubuntu, turn on ssh, and then put it into console mode so I can ssh in and check things out..