No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Having to restart tiny pilot once every 24 hours or so

By @HellKnightHicks
    2023-03-29 14:00:47.525Z

Im running the mouse move script via putty. Once every 24 hours or so I have to restart the tiny pilot because I start losing control of the MAC its connected too.

Is there a way to set an automatic restart up until this issue is resolved?

• 14 replies
    1. C

Hi @HellKnightHicks, thanks for reaching out with your question about the mouse move script.

The mouse jiggler script writes commands directly to the USB interface. The USB interface can only accept one command at a time so it’s possible that commands from the script are clashing with commands from TinyPilot itself. Would you be able to try stopping the mouse jiggler script before using the TinyPilot web interface and checking if that prevents the issue from occurring? If it doesn’t, could you please send me a link to your logs by going to System, then Logs and then Get Sharable URL?

1. H
        In reply toHellKnightHicks:
        @HellKnightHicks
          2023-03-30 13:16:26.309Z2023-03-30 13:32:16.679Z

https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/dF9w1LMC

I need it to keep the screen awake when im not using it. I would be willing to pay for the feature to be integrated into the main software. I will not be able to stop the script as im accessing the machine remotely.

Ive only had the problem since 2 updates ago or so.

It starts acting weird and will right click instead of left click.

So what im doing is just rebooting the Tiny Pilot when it starts acting funky. Then restarting the Jiggle script from the other machine.

1. C

Thanks for getting back to me. I’ve reviewed the logs and everything looks normal, so I suspect this is indeed input from the mouse jiggler script interfering with input from TinyPilot itself. It sounds like you are accessing your TinyPilot device remotely, but running the mouse jiggler script over a local SSH connection. Would it be possible for you to connect to SSH remotely instead as that would enable you to stop and start the script as needed?

1. H
              @HellKnightHicks
                2023-03-30 19:50:09.401Z

No problem thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately No.
                1 - We've had security issues and breaches from SSH being available remotely even on abnormal ports.
                2 - I do not have a connection I would trust to be consistent to keep the script going via putty.

I would be willing to pay a sum of $19.95 (+ Tax based on location) to have the Jiggle added to the tiny pilot natively. Id much rather do that than have to run a separate SSH connection.

The Pilot does work very well for my needs all around except for the buggieness that causes me to have to restart once a day and restart the jiggle script.

1. C

Thanks for the clarification! It’s unlikely that the mouse jiggler will be added to TinyPilot itself in the short term so I’ve been investigating other solutions. Some research suggests that the minimum idle time that can be set on a standard Windows or Mac computer is one minute. However, it seems that the mouse jiggler script sends a movement every three seconds by default:

readonly TIME_BETWEEN_JIGGLES="3s"

It’s possible that increasing this interval might reduce the likelihood of a clash occurring and eliminate the need to reboot your TinyPilot device. Would you be able to increase the interval to a higher value (e.g. “50s”)?

1. H
                    @HellKnightHicks
                      2023-03-31 14:36:26.936Z

I had edited the the time between jiggles to be 240s
                      3s was to aggressive for my use case.

1. C

Thanks for confirming that adjusting the timing didn’t help. I spent a while trying to reproduce this over the weekend but so far I haven’t been able to do so. Would you be able to manually stop the mouse jiggle script the next time the issue happens? I appreciate that might not be possible depending on how much control you have of the target computer.

1. H@HellKnightHicks
                            2023-04-03 12:53:39.771Z

Sure. I'm just looking to see if the lag and buggyness clears up?

1. That’s correct. My hunch is that the script is establishing a lock on the USB interface somehow, so quitting the script during the issue should result in you regaining normal control of the attached computer. If it turns out the script is doing that then it’s likely we can re-design it to avoid the problem.

• H
                            @HellKnightHicks
                              2023-04-11 15:51:45.302Z

Ive been periodically restarting the jiggle script. So far I haven't had any major issues like before. I cant say for sure but it seems like it may have helped. Ill do some more testing this week and report back.

1. Thanks for confirming! Once you’re happy that this resolves this issue please let me know and I’ll be happy to put together some instructions on how you can automate the process going forwards.

2. H
                                @HellKnightHicks
                                  2023-04-13 16:52:52.198Z

Its still not working. Even after disabling the script I have to restart the tiny pilot. I was hopeful though.

1. Thank you for the update, I'm sorry to hear the problem hasn't been resolved.

In an earlier post you mentioned that the Mac right clicks instead of left clicks during this issue. I've done some research and it appears that holding down the Control key will cause a Mac to right click rather than left click, so it's possible that a spurious Control keypress might be being sent.

The next time the issue happens can you please try clicking the Control key on the TinyPilot onscreen keyboard? This should reset the state of the Control key and might clear the issue.

2. H
                                    @HellKnightHicks
                                      2023-04-27 14:53:49.010Z

So far just clicking the ctrl key seems to be fixing the issues. Now that I know thats all that was going on.

Thanks for your help.

Look forward to more features in future releases.