No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

TinyPilot USB connection is recognised as what?

By Charles @Themmak13
    2023-04-17 17:57:35.339Z

When connecting TinyPilot to a PC, what is it recognised as exactly? Only HID? And what kind of HID?

• 3 replies
    1. David @david2023-04-17 18:06:06.170Z

Hi @Themmak13, thanks for you question.

I think our "Can anyone detect when I'm using TinyPilot?" FAQ answers this:

Since TinyPilot acts as a KVM, the target system sees a few devices attached:

• A Generic Plug 'n Play Monitor (for video output)
      • A USB hub with the following attached:
        • A generic USB keyboard
        • A generic USB mouse
        • A USB mass storage device / thumb drive (Pro only)
          • Only when you explicitly mount virtual media

Hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

1. TCharles @Themmak13
          2023-04-17 20:48:45.654Z

What can give an indication that this is tinyPilot, is the generic usb named as "tinypilot usb"?

1. David @david2023-04-18 09:06:07.949Z

I think our FAQ on this topic answers this too - I'd recommend reading through the whole FAQ for more information about how TinyPilot appears to your target machine.

All USB devices declare the name of their manufacturer when they connect to their target system's USB port. TinyPilot declares its manufacturer name as tinypilot within the /opt/tinypilot-privileged/init-usb-gadget file.

USB devices also present a serial number to the target system. TinyPilot's USB serial number is 6b65796d696d6570690, which is stored in /opt/tinypilot-privileged/init-usb-gadget.

If you mount virtual media (Pro only), the target machine will see a USB drive with the name TinyPilot. The name that TinyPilot presents for the USB drive is stored in /opt/tinypilot-privileged/mount-mass-storage.

The way your target machine interprets TinyPilot's manufacturer name and USB drive name may vary between operating systems.