No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

How do I run commands in Bulleye (OS Ver 11) via the microHDMI + Kbd locally?

By @Alt0
    2023-05-06 13:45:49.657Z2023-05-06 13:51:59.720Zassigned to
    • @cghague

Per here (from OS Ver 10) - Renaming the device, Device shows under Mass storage device - #post-5
    I recall being able to run commands (like sudo or logging into root user) locally in the previous OS version.

Is this still possible or not so?
    I tried to break it with Ctrl + C or Ctrl + D but it doesn't seem to want to type anything, despite a flashing prompt _

Just curious how to? (This is on a Voyager 2 where I obtained access to the microHDMI port by removing a part of that plastic case.
    Thank you!

• 4 replies
    1. A
      @Alt0
        2023-05-06 13:49:30.271Z

UPDATE: Figured it out by just trying random things.

Alt + Left or Right arrow to get to the Login: _ prompt

1. C
          In reply toAlt0:

Hi @Alt0, thanks for reaching out with your question about local access. I'm pleased to hear you've managed to find the solution, thank you for sharing it!

Local access isn't something we actively support, but it's also not something we take any special measures to prevent. In this case I suspect your TinyPilot device was simply displaying an unused virtual console.

1. A@Alt0
              2023-05-08 11:47:50.955Z

Thanks! I wish it was supported as the screen output is INVALUABLE! I guess the issue you have is extended the port to the case, especially for 2a devices having a metal enclosure? The other day I needed a family member to reboot it, and to have them FaceTime me the connected small screen I could see it was alive in the background, which was fantastic to know the output of.

Anyway, also with Bullseye it’s not an resized to a super small screen so it’s much easier to read.

Curious about the unused console….
              When I press Alt Left or Right is that like switching console tabs / windows or something? The console it remains out is the boot up one with the [OK] …. Text and then just had no ability to type commands until going to the Left or Right.

Anyway have a nice day!

1. CCharles Hague @cghague2023-05-09 13:09:32.515Z2023-05-09 13:16:41.796Z

Thanks for getting back to me! I completely understand that being able to connect a local display can be helpful in some situations, but, as TinyPilot devices are generally used as appliances that are accessed entirely over the network, it’s not a feature most of our customers require. I’ll mention it to the team though as something we can consider in the future.

Anyway, also with Bullseye it’s not an resized to a super small screen so it’s much easier to read.

This appears to be a change in the underlying Raspberry Pi OS. I’ve noticed it on some of my project devices and it’s certainly an improvement!

Curious about the unused console….
                When I press Alt Left or Right is that like switching console tabs / windows or something? The console it remains out is the boot up one with the [OK] …. Text and then just had no ability to type commands until going to the Left or Right.

That’s correct. It’s a feature of many Unix type operating systems and essentially allows a single computer to have multiple sessions running locally. For example, one console may be used for boot up, one for the standard shell, one for an alternate shell, and one for a graphical interface. Since multiple virtual consoles can be supported it’s common for some of them to be left unused.