No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

How to change the TinyPilot name as the output display name

By @Facsimile8631
    2023-06-10 12:42:24.020Zassigned to
    • @cghague

Hi. I have followed the instructions mentioned here https://tinypilotkvm.com/faq/change-edid to change the name and entered the commands as is. However, the display name in the Mac is still showing as TinyPilot. Is there any thing additional that I have to do to change it a custom name. I want to use the custom name as ASUS. For example this is what I am seeing in the volume selection from the menubar

Thanks

• 2 replies
    1. @fft2023-06-12 05:24:47.167Z

Hi @Facsimile8631,
      the Link you are referring to changes the EDID, which has nothing to do with the network name.
      To change the hostname of TinyPilot you go to "System -> Hostname" and type in the wanted name.
      You than "save and restart", and it should work. Maybe you have to restart the Mac again, but IHMO this it not necessary.

thanks
      Juergen

1. C
        In reply toFacsimile8631:

Hi @Facsimile8631, thanks for reaching out with your question about device names.

It appears from the screenshot that you are looking at the basic sound output settings in the Control Centre on your Mac. If that’s correct, then the “TinyPilot” name is being taken indirectly from the EDID as you suggested. You mentioned that you have already changed the EDID, so it’s possible that the old name has been cached by macOS.

Can you please check if the updated name of your TinyPilot device has been detected by your Mac by launching the Settings app, then choosing the Displays option, and then checking what model name is displayed for the external monitor?