No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

TwinGate setup

By Tony Macaro @tmacaro
    2023-06-13 15:53:39.335Zassigned to
    • @david

Trying to get this setup in our TwinGate network. To load the connector it needs 64bit OS. Does this device meet spec or can I upgrade it to a 64bit OS?

• 7 replies
    1. David @david2023-06-14 14:58:30.876Z

Hi @tmcaro, thanks for your question!

If you have a TinyPilot Voyager device, your TinyPilot Pro software runs on a 32 bit OS by default. It should be possible for you to install the 64 bit version of RaspberryPi OS, install TinyPilot Pro, and then set up TwinGate. However, we're currently looking into a bug that causes the TinyPilot Community install to fail on the 64 bit OS. I don't yet know if this issue is also present for the TinyPilot Pro installation on the 64 bit OS.

Since there's a chance that the TinyPilot Pro installer may fail if you use the 64 bit OS, I'd recommend holding off from trying to change your OS until we understand the issue more. Though of course you're welcome to try anyway if you'd like.

The process looks something like this:

• Re-flash your SD card with Raspberry Pi OS 64 bit using the Raspberry Pi Imager
      • Install TinyPilot Pro via the command line (I believe there are instructions for doing this on the download page once you enter your details)
      • Set up TwinGate

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

1. TTony Macaro @tmacaro
          2023-06-14 17:00:12.674Z

Ok, thanks. The device is being sent to me from another office. Will give it a shot with the 64 o/s and report back. I'll keep an eye on your developments too.

1. David @david2023-06-14 18:40:28.210Z

It looks like we've found the cause of the issue: our Debian packages are architecture specific. And so TinyPilot is only supported on 32-bit systems. Unfortunately, as a small team, we don't have the resources to support 64-bit systems.

In this instance, I'd recommend that you don't try installing the 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS along with TinyPilot since it won't work. I understand this is frustrating and impacts your intended use case with TwinGate - I'm sorry about that.

I hope that clarifies everything. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

1. GGreg Barwis @gbarwis
                2024-03-05 20:54:29.003Z

Sorry to necro this thread, but I've just received our first TinyPilot Voyager2a and am trying to figure out how to best configure it for a remote deployment.

We use Twingate pretty extensively, so the Twingate client is nearly always active and connected on our work machines. Running two different VPN clients simultaneously (for example, Twingate and Tailscale) presents its own set of challenges, so I'm trying to avoid it.

@david, is it still the case that you don't support 64-bit systems? I assume it is, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

1. David @david2024-03-06 12:14:20.973Z

Hi @gbarwis, thanks for your question!

is it still the case that you don't support 64-bit systems? I assume it is, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

That's correct. TinyPilot currently runs on a 32-bit Debian 11 (Bullseye) operating system. And our Debian packages are architecture specific. So, unfortunately, it's not possible to install and run software that's dependent on a 64-bit system alongside TinyPilot.

I hope that clarifies everything! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

2. T
            In reply totmacaro:
            Tony Macaro @tmacaro
              2023-06-17 18:54:32.302Z

I'm trying Tailscale for now. This cant be right, the lag is horrible even using with video setting at the minimum (quality 10%, 5 fps!) takes the mouse 5 - 15 seconds to follow the cursor. Ping is good
              C:\Users\amaca> tailscale netcheck

Report:
              * UDP: true
              * IPv4: yes, 172.58.148.215:65475
              * IPv6: yes, [2607:fb91:2f25:c6ff:95fb:c7e0:dbc6:29d7]:52968
              * MappingVariesByDestIP: false
              * HairPinning: false
              * PortMapping:
              * CaptivePortal: false
              * Nearest DERP: Miami
              * DERP latency:
              - mia: 69.9ms (Miami)
              - tor: 74.4ms (Toronto)
              - dfw: 74.8ms (Dallas)
              - nyc: 80.1ms (New York City)
              - ord: 80.5ms (Chicago)
              - lax: 88.1ms (Los Angeles)
              - den: 99.4ms (Denver)
              - sfo: 99.4ms (San Francisco)
              - sea: 101.1ms (Seattle)
              - par: 119.2ms (Paris)
              - lhr: 129.7ms (London)
              - ams: 136ms (Amsterdam)
              - fra: 141.5ms (Frankfurt)
              - hnl: 141.5ms (Honolulu)
              - mad: 142.2ms (Madrid)
              - waw: 161.3ms (Warsaw)
              - sao: 165.3ms (São Paulo)
              - tok: 185.6ms (Tokyo)
              - syd: 215.5ms (Sydney)
              - dbi: 223ms (Dubai)
              - hkg: 240.1ms (Hong Kong)
              - sin: 251.8ms (Singapore)
              - jnb: 275.6ms (Johannesburg)
              - blr: 285.3ms (Bangalore)

C:\Users\amaca>tailscale ping 100.98.112.104
              pong from tinypilot (100.98.112.104) via 192.168.12.190:41641 in 4ms

Ideas?

1. David @david2023-06-19 11:10:12.372Z

Thanks for sharing those ping results! From your description, it sounds like your TinyPilot is using its MJPEG streaming mode.

We recommend that you use TinyPilot's H.264 streaming mode in our Tailscale article. H.264 is much more efficient compared to MJPEG streaming, so switching streaming modes should reduce the latency you're seeing. On your TinyPilot's web UI, click System > Video Settings. Then in the video settings dialog, change "Streaming Mode" to "H.264." You can tune H.264 performance by reducing the frame rate or the bitrate too.

Hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other issues.